Yet another "Internal Server 500 Error" thread: I have searched and tried....

Started by nukinfuts29, June 03, 2011, 09:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nukinfuts29

I am using 1&1 hosting under the business package. I have never seen an issue with them before, but now I have one :sigh:

Forum Version: 2.0RC5
Operating Systems Tested: Windows 7, Ubuntu 10.04, Ubuntu 11.04, Slackware
Browsers Tested: IE7, FF, Chrome, Opera

I have a new forum, it is about two weeks old. It has never been moved from another host or anything, it is a clean install. All of my mods have been in place for the majority of that time, and I notice no issues at all. Now some of my users are reporting Internal 500 Server errors when trying to attach pictures (or any file most likely, only image tested).

What I did:

Disabled all attachment control, allowed unlimited file sizes, etc.
Checked my file permissions in FTP and in SMF, they are all writeable at 777.

Still, the error happens. And not ever time, I was able to reproduce it 7 times in a row with my girlfriends laptop, and 0 with mine. We are using the same file the user was trying to upload. It's a jpeg image. I converted it to png and tried from my girlfriends computer, and it worked, but the picture wouldn't display.

So to recap, the picture in it's original format of jpeg would only upload for me, from my laptop. I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 with Chrome.

I previously saw only one 500 error, when I was using Aeva Media trying to upload a picture. I chalked it up to a bug with Aeva and stopped using it. It is still installed because I have pictures i need to save from there, but it is no longer accessible to any users and is not in the menu.

Anyway, these were the only two instances of a 500 error, both involving attachments, until last night. Last night I moved a thread from one section to another, and then magically if i tried to open the new topic (i did not post a redirect) i would get the 500 error. I was able to delete it.

I searched around all last night and found nothing that helped. I do not have mod_rewrite on my host. The internet connection does not seem to matter. Also, avatars are working perfectly fine....

Here is my phpinfo:

http://pitbull911.org/phpinfo.php [nofollow]

Installed Mods:

Contact Page    2.1.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
2.   Aeva Media    1.4w     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
3.   Allow Access while in Maintenance Mode    1.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
4.   Pretty URLs    1.0RC5.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
5.   Tagging System    2.4.2     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
6.   PM to New Members    1.2     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
7.   Sitemap    2.2.0     [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
8.   Share This Topic    2.8.2     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
9.   Register At Post View v.1.1    1.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
10.   Guest Registration Notification    1.3     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
11.   RSS Feed Poster    3.0.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]

Any ideas are very, very welcome. I have contacted the host, but no comment from them yet.

EDIT: These popped up in the error log:

QuoteYour attachment has failed security checks and cannot be uploaded. Please consult the forum administrator

QuoteYour attachment couldn't be saved. This might happen because it took too long to upload or the file is bigger than the server will allow.

Please consult your server administrator for more information.

Multiple instances of both from a few users. There are no security checks in place at all, everything is unrestricted...

nukinfuts29

So while on my user CP for the hosting account I got a 500 error. So i called the host who says they have no record of any errors anywhere including on their cp system, but they will "run a fix on the server please call back after one hour if it happens again."

nukinfuts29

Ok further testing reveals anything over 2MB is crashing when you try to attach it. I checked my phpinfo and the upload_max_filesize is 40M. And there is no limit set in smf at all

I'm also getting this on some posts that crash:

Quotehttp://www.pitbull911.org/index.php?pretty;board=other-breed-discussions;topic=our-husky.0&amp;action=post;last_msg=1722 [nofollow]: filesize() [<a href='function.filesize'>function.filesize</a>]: Stat failed for /*****(edited)*****/attachments/post_tmp_1_0 (errno=2 - No such file or directory)File: /******(Edited)******/Sources/Post.php
Line: 968

SlammedDime

SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

nukinfuts29

I have attached two files. The first picture will upload on my forum perfect. The second results in 500 errors. It will then tell me "You have attached images that have not yet been posted, you can remove them here". And unless i remove them, the post will fail again, and again, and again.

nukinfuts29

If needed, i can provide a temp admin account for someone to look over the settings. I'm desperate to get this fixed and I can think of nothing else. I REALLY do not want to change hosts unless I have too. I would move to a dedicated before leaving them I think.

Edit: users have verified nothing over 86KB will upload.

nukinfuts29

My host just informed me that 86kb is the limit and there is no timeframe on when that may change. UGH. Guess maybe i will look into a way to resize them on the fly my users wont notice.

Illori

or you could look for a host that has a higher limit for uploads.

nukinfuts29

Quote from: Illori on June 04, 2011, 05:42:52 AM
or you could look for a host that has a higher limit for uploads.

Agreed, but i needed (at the time) a temp fix while i decided where to go. I have been with 1and1 for so long, and this is apparently a new thing for them because it was never this way before. Anyway they are giving a great deal on a dedicated (true) managed centos server so hopefully once im moved over I can get things setup and move on with my day :)

Illori

if you are going to pick a new server i would suggest you check out the hosting board. i bet you dont need a dedicated server at this point and better host can host you on a shared plan for lower cost and less hassle for you.

Advertisement: