News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF 1.1.14 To SMF 2 Gold Upgrade Issue

Started by SD-X, June 20, 2011, 03:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD-X

Everything went great for my upgrade from the versions mentioned in the topic title...UNTIL I went to send a forum PM. It seems something broke!

\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tPick a smiley\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t<' + '/h3>\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t<' + '/div>\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t

Instead of having a Post or Preview button at the bottom of the PM page, I have the above stated code as text, which disappears part way under the theme. I have no idea what caused it as I'm using the default SMF 2.0 Curve theme as the only one installed, and previously I was only using the default SMF 1.1.14 Core theme prior to the upgrade. No mods installed that would affect this both before or after the upgrade, and all mods were uninstalled during the upgrade. This is the only forum I've seen this issue on so far, but then again it's the only one I did a SMF 1.1.14 to SMF 2.0 upgrade on either. All my others were SMF 2.0 RC's to SMF 2.0 Gold, which worked fine. There are no theme mods or other themes installed.

Now for the details:

SMF Version: Started with SMF 1.1.14, upgraded to SMF 2.0 Gold
Forum URL: (Beware of many popups and ads) - http://satc.ulmb.com/forum/
Error Log: No entries.

Antechinus

Umm, this bit makes me nervous: "............................... all mods were installed during the upgrade."

As a first measure, I'd suggest getting a fresh PersonalMessage.template.php from the 2.0 installation pack, and overwriting the file that is currently on your server.

SD-X

Apologies, that was a typo I thought I fixed last night, but I guess you saw it before I did hahaha. It should have said "uninstalled".

Edit: I'll try that and see if it helps.

Edit 2: Didn't help at all. Upon further searching, none of my mods installed even touch that file, and the file is identical to the one in a full SMF 2.0 Gold installation package. I uploaded it anyway just in case it was something weird like an invisible character or FTP issue, but even after clearing the cache it's still broken.

SD-X

*Bump*

It seems the issue also exists when replying in any topic, or when making a new one. I didn't catch it before because I was using Quick Reply for everything, which seems to be unaffected. Anyone have any ideas?

SD-X

*Bump again*

Sorry guys, but this is rendering my whole forum useless. Any suggestions?

Sir Osis of Liver

Unless someone has a better idea, I'd suggest uninstalling all your mods, and uploading all clean template and source files from the upgrade package.  If it fixes the problem, re-install the mods one at a time, a check if the error reappears after each one.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

SD-X

Quote from: Krash. on July 03, 2011, 11:58:53 PM

Unless someone has a better idea, I'd suggest uninstalling all your mods, and uploading all clean template and source files from the upgrade package.  If it fixes the problem, re-install the mods one at a time, a check if the error reappears after each one.
I tried uninstalling them previously and it seems to be caused by the upgrade itself. I'll try what you said, but honestly I think it might be an issue between the original and new files during an upgrade :)

Sir Osis of Liver

The upgrade replaces the old files with the current ones, probably all of them, since you're going a long way from .14 to 2.0.   Anything in your error log?

- R. Waters

SD-X

Quote from: Krash. on July 04, 2011, 12:05:25 AM

The upgrade replaces the old files with the current ones, probably all of them, since you're going a long way from .14 to 2.0.   Anything in your error log?
That's the strange part, absolutely nothing. Not even during the upgrade itself. This is purely a visual error that breaks the buttons in the situations I mentioned and replaces them with the broken code. I've never seen anything like it that was so isolated.

Sir Osis of Liver

If uploading the files doesn't work, try commenting out the line that displays the buttons, and see if it cleans up the garbage.  It's in PersonalMessage.template.php -

// Send, Preview, spellcheck buttons.
echo '
<p><label for="outbox"><input type="checkbox" name="outbox" id="outbox" value="1" tabindex="', $context['tabindex']++, '"', $context['copy_to_outbox'] ? ' checked="checked"' : '', ' class="input_check" /> ', $txt['pm_save_outbox'], '</label></p>
<p id="shortcuts" class="smalltext">
', $context['browser']['is_firefox'] ? $txt['shortcuts_firefox'] : $txt['shortcuts'], '
</p>
<!--p id="post_confirm_strip" class="righttext">
', template_control_richedit_buttons($context['post_box_name']), '
</p-->
<input type="hidden" name="', $context['session_var'], '" value="', $context['session_id'], '" />

- R. Waters

SD-X

Quote from: Krash. on July 04, 2011, 12:39:15 AM

If uploading the files doesn't work, try commenting out the line that displays the buttons, and see if it cleans up the garbage.  It's in PersonalMessage.template.php -

// Send, Preview, spellcheck buttons.
echo '
<p><label for="outbox"><input type="checkbox" name="outbox" id="outbox" value="1" tabindex="', $context['tabindex']++, '"', $context['copy_to_outbox'] ? ' checked="checked"' : '', ' class="input_check" /> ', $txt['pm_save_outbox'], '</label></p>
<p id="shortcuts" class="smalltext">
', $context['browser']['is_firefox'] ? $txt['shortcuts_firefox'] : $txt['shortcuts'], '
</p>
<!--p id="post_confirm_strip" class="righttext">
', template_control_richedit_buttons($context['post_box_name']), '
</p-->
<input type="hidden" name="', $context['session_var'], '" value="', $context['session_id'], '" />

I'll try that before I reupload everything. One of the things I tried, as previously suggested, was reuploading the 2.0 Gold version of that file altogether, which did nothing. I then later discovered that the normal post reply was broken too.

Sir Osis of Liver

Both the post and pm templates use the same template_control_richedit_buttons function, so that may be causing the problem.  Haven't found it yet.

Ok, it's in /Themes/Default/GenericControls.template.php.  That should be what's causing the problem.

- R. Waters

SD-X

Replaced the file with a brand new one from a SMF 2.0 full installer package and it didn't change anything :P

Sir Osis of Liver

Which browser are you using?  Have you tried it in another browser?

- R. Waters

SD-X

Quote from: Krash. on July 04, 2011, 09:28:12 PM

Which browser are you using?  Have you tried it in another browser?
Google Chrome, but I've tested it in all of them, cache-clearing included in both the browser and the board. This one still confuses me because the board had no mods or custom themes installed prior to the actual upgrade process, so I don't get how things got corrupted. :P

Sir Osis of Liver

Have you replaced GenericControls.template.php?

- R. Waters

SD-X

Quote from: Krash. on July 05, 2011, 12:33:25 AM

Have you replaced GenericControls.template.php?

Yep ;)

Quote from: SugarD-x on July 04, 2011, 01:47:49 AM
Replaced the file with a brand new one from a SMF 2.0 full installer package and it didn't change anything :P

Sir Osis of Liver

Did you comment out the button line in PersonalMessage.template.php?  Did it clean up the mess?

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Something's been bothering me about the gibberish you posted up top, and I finally figured out what it is.  This -

\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tPick a smiley\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t<' + '/h3>\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t<' + '/div>\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t

... is not random.  The characters are php constants - \n is a newline (linebreak), \t is a tab.  It's parsing and displaying the actual code in part of GenericControls.template.php, right around here -

' . $txt['more_smileys_pick'] . '
</h3>
</div>

If you look in Post.english.php, you'll see that $txt['more_smileys_pick'] is "Pick a smiley".  Now I know what it's doing, but it's late and I can barely see, so I'll work on why it's doing it tomorrow.

- R. Waters

SD-X

Quote from: Krash. on July 05, 2011, 12:52:36 AM

Did you comment out the button line in PersonalMessage.template.php?  Did it clean up the mess?
Didn't seem to help.

@Your second post: Thanks man. No rush. It's much appreciated. :)

Advertisement: