News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF -vs- MyBB... What are the differences??

Started by grndslm, June 27, 2011, 06:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grndslm

I'm not asking which one is better, because I think I already know how this is going to turn out.  So that's why I went ahead and copied this post and sent it over to the MyBB forum, too....  hxxp:community.mybb.com/thread-97566.html [nonactive]

I've been using phpBB3 on FreeForums and have been impressed with most everything about it, except for my next project can't have any ads on the host.  Not really much to complain about, but I think it's maybe the themes that I'm not a fan of.  I think... :sleepy:

I've installed MyBB and SMF both on my own host and I really like them both.  I'm wondering what are some glaring differences between the two that are not so obvious to me now??

P.S. -- Ranking / Karma is a very important feature for my project, as well, and I see that both have it built in.  I don't suppose either has the ability to rank threads themselves instead of just comments, eh??

Jessica.

don't use phpBB3 on FreeForums. you have to pay to get more mods installed and if you used a host you can install any mod

For MyBB installing plugins is really really easy, I might be wrong, but I think it edits no files whatsoever. I think MyBB is a little bit like vB, the replies and views are already in columns, when you click on Edit a drop down appears with Full Edit or Quick Edit and you can chosen either. I really like that.

You can lock forums like phpBB and there's a built in rating system

I can list more but I can't think of any more at the moment
Testing Zone - SMF 2.0.7, default Curve
School & Chat - phpBB3, over 170 mods installed, official live forum

I use the latest version of Chrome

phpBB: Forum = a section; Board = whole site
SMF: Forum = whole site; Board = a section

Suki

Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

grndslm

I'm looking for differences.  Support and "long-time openness" are two differences I didn't consider before.

I'm certainly open for more differences, tho.  Which was the whole point...

SMF 2.0 must have some unique selling advantages, tho, right??  ;)

Sell me some SMF!!

Miles Marshall

Certainly in my opion SMF is the bset. I'm not to sure about mybb but SMF is quick and responsive and generally can give you an answer pretty quick.
Need Computer Help? Just want to chat? Come on over! http://www.geekinc.org
"I tried to fix the world but they wouldn't give me the source code"

-Miles

Kindred

Mybb is a nice piece of software.

Personally,  I do not like the theming engine and I prefer the SMF mod system which can handle hooks with no edits but also handles full code insert, removal and replacement.

Mods for SMF basically allow you to do almost anything
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MC73

I tried mybb on my test site and ...... All I got to say is .... After a week and you'll be downloading SMF 2.0 at the end of the week. Then you will see the simplicity of SMF compared to mybb
Over 1100 Online Flash Games 

grndslm

SMF is damn simple.  I'll give ya that.

I wonder if that's how it got its name...    :D

Jessica.

MyBB lets you create Moderator tools and Thread prefixes without a mod.

there are some things I like about it, otherwise I do like SMF better
Testing Zone - SMF 2.0.7, default Curve
School & Chat - phpBB3, over 170 mods installed, official live forum

I use the latest version of Chrome

phpBB: Forum = a section; Board = whole site
SMF: Forum = whole site; Board = a section

sviridovt

I use to use MyBB for a long time before I switched to SMF, and the selling point for me wasnt the core software, but mods. The modding community over at MyBB fails to meet the standard of "free high quality", most of the mods for MyBB are either basic or paid, now I am not saying there arent any good free mods, but most mods are. Nothing against MyBB modding team, they are good developers just not for holding up to the point of free forum software. Now, while you may call me cheap, I am not, I just think that if I am going to pay for mods for a free forum software, I might as well save money for ipBoard or vBulletin. As for the core software, I think that they both have ups and downs and for me, if I had to choose based on core features, I would go with MyBB, however I chose SMF because almost every feature that SMF lacks that MyBB has, can be obtained as a FREE mod, and in addition you have more mods that are extra. One thing I am missing though is an advanced pre-fix system with colors and types of text etc, and I dont like SMF permission system. Other than that I like my modded SMF forum better.

Advertisement: