Option to stop users from emailing each other

Started by TJ2011, July 07, 2011, 02:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ2011

or sending an email after sending a personal message, while maintaining the private/personal message option and not disabling that.

Kindred

each user can turn OFF the email notification of personal messages in their own profile.

I do not believe there is any way to stop users from emailing each other using the internal mailto function, but doing so does not expose the target user's email address, so what is the harm?  I am not sure what the point of this request is, actually...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

to stop users from contacting others using the email function if the admin wishes them to not have that ability.

TJ2011

Quote from: Kindred on July 07, 2011, 02:46:57 PM
each user can turn OFF the email notification of personal messages in their own profile.

I do not believe there is any way to stop users from emailing each other using the internal mailto function, but doing so does not expose the target user's email address, so what is the harm?  I am not sure what the point of this request is, actually...

I'm not concerned with exposing the users email, and that's great that this does not happen. My concern is spammers who register to the forum and go on to email other users using the email function. I'm hoping an option to turn that off can be added.

IchBin™

You can turn that option off in the permissions of each group. It is labeled "Send a forum email to members".
IchBin™        TinyPortal

TJ2011

Does this stop the email function that accompanies personal messages as well?

Kindred

As is aid, each user can se the notification settings to what they want, on or off

however, if your problem is spammers emailing, then set the permissions for the new user group to not allow pms or emails
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

OCJ

I have tried disallowing sending forum emails and though it removes the email icon from the users profile, it does not remove it from forum posts page, and still allows users to post from there by clicking the icon under the posters details.
Does this have to be manually edited out of the templates html? If so, where and how?
Andy

TJ2011

Quote from: igirisjin on July 19, 2011, 12:00:02 AM
I have tried disallowing sending forum emails and though it removes the email icon from the users profile, it does not remove it from forum posts page, and still allows users to post from there by clicking the icon under the posters details.
Does this have to be manually edited out of the templates html? If so, where and how?
Andy

This is the exact same thing I've been trying to get answered for some time now. I suspect the answer is not straight forward (because I can't imagine my question not being) because there is currently no option for this to happen. It would be great for this option to be built into future versions.

For example, I would like to allow users to use PM's, but without sending an accompanying email. Currently there is NO way for this to happen, which is why it would have been great for someone who understands this system to just come right out and say it.

In the meantime I've found a temporary solution, don't allow the regular members to see the memberlist or other people's profiles and they can't email them. I don't know if that has resolved the email that accompanies PM's though. I doubt it, but haven't checked yet.

SO

SMF programmers, please, build in an option that stops emails from being sent through the forum, and no, not the option for each individual to decide that but for the Admin to universally decide whether he wants his system to act as a mailer or not.

Thanks!

TJ2011

Another feature that would be desirable; to make users post a certain amount of times before gaining access to personal message system. How great would that be?

Illori

Quote from: TJ2011 on July 20, 2011, 02:16:31 AM
Another feature that would be desirable; to make users post a certain amount of times before gaining access to personal message system. How great would that be?

there are permissions you can set on the post count based groups to do this already.

Kindred

Quote from: TJ2011 on July 20, 2011, 02:15:28 AM
For example, I would like to allow users to use PM's, but without sending an accompanying email. Currently there is NO way for this to happen, which is why it would have been great for someone who understands this system to just come right out and say it.

In the meantime I've found a temporary solution, don't allow the regular members to see the memberlist or other people's profiles and they can't email them. I don't know if that has resolved the email that accompanies PM's though. I doubt it, but haven't checked yet.

SO

SMF programmers, please, build in an option that stops emails from being sent through the forum, and no, not the option for each individual to decide that but for the Admin to universally decide whether he wants his system to act as a mailer or not.

Thanks!

I have already said: this is an individual USER SETTING. Each user determines if they want to receive notifications of PMs or posts in a "notify flagged" thread of board.
You can set the system DEFAULT for all users to OFF... but the user can then decide that they want it on...
Слaва
Украинi

TJ2011

Quote from: Kindred on July 20, 2011, 08:07:40 AM
Quote from: TJ2011 on July 20, 2011, 02:15:28 AM

SO

Thanks!

I have already said: this is an individual USER SETTING. Each user determines if they want to receive notifications of PMs or posts in a "notify flagged" thread of board.
You can set the system DEFAULT for all users to OFF... but the user can then decide that they want it on...

And I've already said that it would be great if the user cannot turn it on if I -the admin- don't want it to  ::)

Illori

then request a mod to be created, just because you as one admin want it does not mean that all admin that use smf need this feature.

Advertisement: