News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Request: mod(s) for contests

Started by The Lurker, August 18, 2011, 02:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lurker

Hello,

I am a member of a board that runs on SMF 1.1.14.
That board regularly runs contests where voting is implemented in the form of polls.  However, that approach have several drawbacks so some members suggested alternative implementations.  Unfortunately the (unpaid) admins do not relish the task of making extensive changes to the forum software, so I suggested looking for 3rd party solutions.

I am looking for a combination of mods that will allow the following behavior:

1) The ability to impose (and later remove) a limitation on a sub-board such that the users will only see threads that they created themselves.  While this restriction is in place, it should apply to all the forum users, with the exception of designated admins. Creating new threads will be unrestricted.

2) Automatically adding a big, conspicuous "vote for me" button to the first post in each thread.  A person can vote for as many submissions as they want but no more than once per submission.  The total vote count is not shown while voting is open (to prevent strategic voting).  The voting will be closed at some time, at which point, all the voting buttons in that sub-folder should either disappear or become disabled, at that time the total vote count for each submission should be available for viewing.

If there are existing mods that can be used to achieve these effects, please point me to them.
Otherwise, if somebody is willing to write such a mod, I will be grateful.
Otherwise, if gratitude is not enough, perhaps I'll be able to persuade the site users to donate (the site itself relies on donations to pay the hosting bills and struggles to meet the target as it is).

Thank you in advance.

Peace,
Lurker.

The Lurker

Somebody?  Anybody?
A comment?  A hint?  A suggestion?

Throw me a bone, people...

Peace,
Lurker.

Matthew K.

Hey there Lurker!

As this is not something commonly requested, it would most likely need to be a paid project for someone to take it on as it wouldn't be a small tweak.

Best of luck,
Labradoodle-360

The Lurker

Hello Labradoodle-360,

Thank you for your reply!

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on August 19, 2011, 05:59:45 PM
As this is not something commonly requested, it would most likely need to be a paid project for someone to take it on as it wouldn't be a small tweak.

My questions are:

1) Are there existing mods that partially implement some of the functionality, or some similar functionality?

2) As paid projects go, can you give me a rough estimate what range are we talking about?

Peace,
Lurker.

Matthew K.

As far as I know, there are no mods on the mod site that accomplish what you are describing.

And the price-range is really dependent on who would take up the task, they can ask whatever they want to do a project, it's up to them.

The Lurker

Just noticed that SMF 2.0 allows adding a poll to an existing thread.

Questions:
1) Can this functionality be added to SMF 1.1?
2) Is there an option (or mod) to make a single choice poll? (currently at least two options are required)

This will make it similar to my 2nd requirement.  I would prefer a big button instead of the normal poll UI but I'll go with what I can have...

Peace,
Lurker.

Matthew K.

Why not consider upgrading to SMF 2.0?

1) Yeah, not much is impossible to do with time.
2) I do believe there is in SMF 2.0.

The Lurker

I found several mods that may (or may not) help:

For the hiding part:
Hide post.

For the voting part:
SMF Likes Lite (or the Pro version).
Rate that topic.

Posted some questions on the respective topics.

Peace,
Lurker.

The Lurker

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on August 19, 2011, 06:38:15 PM
Why not consider upgrading to SMF 2.0?

As I noted in my original post: not my forum, not my decision.

Advertisement: