Approve items separate from ability to view items waiting approval

Started by Illori, October 04, 2011, 05:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illori

some forums use post moderation to allow users to post private topics that only staff can view, yet the staff could accidentally approve the threads leaving private information visible to others that should not be, it may be handy to have a separate permission to VIEW the threads/posts etc waiting approval from the ability to approve them, given that those that can approve them can view them.

Antechinus

It's not a bad idea. On the other hand, we did discuss (in some infernal team thread) including a feature like this in future versions. I'd be inclined to do something like that to get privacy for topics, instead of relying on unapproved posts to do a job they weren't actually intended to do.

Illori

that could work as well, either way would work for the same goal. i was just thinking it may be easier to use an existing function then to add another one.

Antechinus

Just thought it might be less confusing to have separate functions. I don't think adding that would be a problem. It's a simple enough process on 1.1.x (I already use it on a 1.1.x site) so it should be equally simple on 2.x. I was going to do a 2.0 version for myself anyway since I do want it.

ETA: We should start putting some serious thought into this. It may be better to build on existing features, if we can get the right functionality that way. I think it needs to be a bit more than just viewing unapproved posts though.

Kindred

while re-purposing code is good, we should never try to shoe-horn something in just because it "could be" used that way. That way leads to more confusion. A new feature would be a better design than trying to use pending approval.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antechinus

Yes. I would hate to see a private topic laid open for all simply because a moderator was in a hurry one day and approved it by mistake.

Advertisement: