News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Removing parts of theme / code

Started by therealkickers, December 12, 2011, 03:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

therealkickers

Hi!

I have downloaded (and paid to be allowed to change it) a theme from the theme database and I have basically adjusted it to our requirements.
But I can't figure out two things:

1. The theme came with something like a background bar behind the logo image space.
After I had exchanged the logo image, everything was fine. The bar was gone and all we could see was the logo file on empty space / global background image.

See attachement 1.

Yesterday that bar came back, placing itself behind the logo image.

See attachement 2.

I can't find that bar in any css file and it's obviously not an image.
Where can I seek and destroy that bar?

2. Question:
When reading a thread, in the lower right corner there are two buttons to skip to the previous / next thread.
Is there any way we can delete these two links as well?

Thank you very much!
Christoph

dreadk

Unfortunately, without being able to view the css file in question, can't say for sure. It's either in the index.template.php (if it's hard coded into the theme template) or in the css files.....

therealkickers

Hi!

Thanks for trying to help.

At least the "skip through threads" in the lower right corner is located there in every theme, in this one here as well.
I can see the code by "view source code" in my browser, but I cannot find the file in which to look for it.
It's not in the template files, it must be somewhere in the basic forum files.

Guess that's what I'm looking for: (copied from this forum here)

<div class="pagesection">
<div class="nextlinks"><a href="http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?
topic=461740.0;prev_next=prev#new">&laquo; previous</a> <a href="http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?
topic=461740.0;prev_next=next#new">next &raquo;</a>
</div>

Thank you very much!
Christoph

dreadk

Still doesn't really help, be easier if you posted a link to your site.

Usually CSS for that section would be in the theme_directory/css/index.css

If the theme creator made a separate css file, could be in a different spot.

therealkickers

Hi!

Here's the link to our Forum:
www.monofans.de/fanclub/forum

I found the classes for these links, but I didn't find where they are called to appear...

Additional to that I would love to enlarge the preset space for our logo header jpg. Is it somehow possible to make it bigger so I can insert an image with more space to the Greeting / the login fields?

Thanks for helping!
Christoph

dreadk

1.) The only CSS file you'll need to work with is in CSS Directory (index.css).  I didn't see any gray bar as I was browsing around the forum.

2.) Go to the default theme directory on your server and put a copy of Display.template.php in your new theme's directory. That file controls the view when reading threads, you'll find the section you need to remove there.

therealkickers

Hi!

Thank you.

1.) I have no clue. Only I can see those bars. No other user. In fact that bar was there, until I put a logo there. It'S there in the "original theme from the theme database here, But - big deal, I'll live with the bar. No problem.

2.)  I don't want to copy settings from the original forum theme to my theme as the "next and previous topic" links are there in the standard theme too.
I have checked both index.css and index.templae.php again. Hmmm. Could be, should be, dunno, might, can.
I removed something that came close to "next topic" from the index.css, but all that happened was both buttons moved to the left.
I removed something that came close to "next and last topic" from the index.template.php and nothing happened at all.

Doesn't anybody know the exact column / tag / whatever I have to edit / remove to just get rid of those two tiny links at the bottom right side?

Thank you very much for helping!
Christoph

Sir Osis of Liver

In Display.template.php -

Top << previous next >> links:

// Show the page index... "Pages: [1]".
echo '
<!--div class="nextlinks">', $context['previous_next'], '</div-->', template_button_strip($normal_buttons, 'right'), '
<div class="pagelinks floatleft">', $txt['pages'], ': ', $context['page_index'], !empty($modSettings['topbottomEnable']) ? $context['menu_separator'] . ' &nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="#lastPost"><strong>' . $txt['go_down'] . '</strong></a>' : '', '</div>
</div>';

Bottom << previous next >> links:

// Show the page index... "Pages: [1]".
echo '
', template_button_strip($normal_buttons, 'right'), '
<div class="pagelinks floatleft">', $txt['pages'], ': ', $context['page_index'], !empty($modSettings['topbottomEnable']) ? $context['menu_separator'] . ' &nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="#top"><strong>' . $txt['go_up'] . '</strong></a>' : '', '</div>
<!--div class="nextlinks_bottom">', $context['previous_next'], '</div-->
</div>';

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

therealkickers

Sorry I forgot to post that it's done.
Thank you vermy much!

Advertisement: