Application help

Started by RednecK1, January 22, 2012, 08:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RednecK1

Ok so i am making a mobile application for my forums.  That pretty much tells all about it.  What code could i use to make the forum appear in the app.Just like if you typed in the url on the internet and it comes up. Is there anyway this is possible?

Arantor

How much of it is supposed to be run on the phone, exactly?

SMF has little to no support out of the box for such things (as Tapatalk demonstrates quite effectively)

RednecK1

Well I am wanting users to be able go into the app.  And view some things then when they click "forum" It takes them to the forum in a mobile view.

Arantor

As opposed to having a decent mobile theme on the forum in the first place?

RednecK1

Well, in my opinion mostly everyone nowadays have smartphones anyway and it views the forum cleanly.  But i can always add a mobile theme.

RednecK1

I can show an ss of what i what if that clears things up a bit.  I tried a hyperlink to the forum.  But that never worked.

Arantor

I wouldn't say that 'mostly everyone' has a smartphone, because it's actually not true - the majority of phones out there are feature phones that have limited, if any, web support (and the ones that do, support WAP2, which SMF does natively)

The thing is, having an app for a forum is not really that useful unless 1) you're already a programmer and know how to write an app, 2) you have something significant in the forum that is worth the time and effort of writing an app for and 3) you expect users not to make long posts in the first place, as writing posts of any length on a mobile device is time consuming and/or frustrating.

There is a good 'modern' mobile theme available from http://smf-media.com/ though it's not free. (But if you're not already a member of one of the developer programs, e.g. Apple's Developer Centre or Google's, you're already paying more than that just to get in, and that's before you write the program.)

Also, see tapatalk.com for a mobile app.

RednecK1

Well, to be honest im doing this for more users.  Plus it helps people to keep active if they have the forum on the go by the app(In my opinion).  I am using Mobile.Conduit.com for the app making.  And so far it's doing great.  I was just hoping there would possibly be an html code or something that would show the forum index in the app.  And my forum is a clan forum.  So im going to do whatever i can to make it better or different from the other gaming clans.

mashby

OK, but if you're looking to make an app that is really just using web pages, you might be better off spending time and/or money on making your site mobile-friendly. An app likely wouldn't be all that practical.
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Advertisement: