Google Apps SMTP setup problems.

Started by mcb, February 27, 2013, 12:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

青山 素子

Removed
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Night09

Quote from: 青山 素子 on March 03, 2013, 12:20:07 PM
So, I finally was able to run the tests to confirm the configuration for using plain gmail. The setup is as follows:

Mail type: SMTP
SMTP Server: ssl://smtp.gmail.com
SMTP Port: 465
SMTP username: your gmail e-mail address
SMTP password: password for your gmail account

Please note that Google will automatically override the sending e-mail address with your gmail account address. You can set it up to send e-mail from a different address by adding it in GMail's "Accounts and Import" settings section under "Send mail as". Note that it'll still add a header line showing your GMail address, but the displayed From address will be set to the special one.

Important PHP Configuration
You must have the "openssl" extension configured in PHP. This can be checked/confirmed with a phpinfo output (What is phpinfo.php?). If things are configured correctly, you'll see "ssl" in the group of "Registered Stream Socket Transports" near the top of the phpinfo contents.

Thats information already known, it tells the OP nothing.

Apart from the openssl in php the guide I wrote specifically for gmail nails both hosted and private gmail additions.

Advice...Dump your server and install WAMP or XAMP depending on the S you prefer, it works out the box and you dont have non of this hassle if your unsure of things..

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=343385.0

青山 素子

Since I didn't offer anything new, I've just removed the post contents.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

mcb

Thank you.

On points 1 & 2 i am still unsure as to what to do.

On Point 3 regarding port 25 traffic with Google Apps i am acquainted.  We have the SPF record set up in our DNS that covers all the static IP addresses that requests would come from.  I have tested that in mail clients and PLC's (Programmable Logic Controllers) on our network and they all can send mail via Google's port 25 server:aspmx.l.google.com just fine. 

mcb

OK, going to backtrack a bit.  I went back and removed the two .dlls i haphazardly started putting in directories in hopes that it would work.  I am going to try to follow the php.net instruction manual as it relates to the openssl installation.  I will detail what i am doing below i hopes of finding out what i am missing.
1.  I enabled the "extension=php_openssl.dll" setting in my php.ini file.
2.  I am starting HERE for the installation of the ssl libraries on php.net. 
3.  On that page it directed me to this site to get the Windows setup HERE
4.  My first question is, which setup do i download and install?  "Complete package, except sources" or "Sources"?  I don't even really understand the difference between the two at this point.  Can this be done without the sources?
5.  I ran the "complete package, except sources" and in the install it prompts me to download the sources.  So, i did.
6.  Is there anything additional i need to do with the sources once they are downloaded?
7.  At this juncture do i need to copy .dll files to any other directories?  Or did the gnuwin32 install do everything that was needed?
8.  Next question is from this page.  It says,
QuoteTo use PHP's OpenSSL support you must also compile PHP --with-openssl[=DIR]
What does that mean?
9.  Next i added my PHP directory to the PATH on Windows by setting the environment variable.
10. I restarted the server and i still get these warnings:
QuotePHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library 'C:\\SMF\\PHP\\ext\\php_openssl.dll' - The specified module could not be found.\r\n in Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning:  Module 'gd' already loaded in Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning:  Module 'mysql' already loaded in Unknown on line 0
11. I went to the \PHP\ext folder and did not find a "php_openssl.dll"
12. Final Questions: How do i get the "php_openssl.dll" there?  I did a search of the system for that .dll and found it no where. 

Apologies for the 12 point madness and questions.  But i am trying to dispel any assumptions that you think i might be working on at this point. 

Thanks for your patience and help on this one.

mcb

Nightbre, I am unfamiliar with WAMP.  I went to the WAMP server site.  What does working with WAMP do for me?  How would i tackle the SSL smtp issue through WAMP?

I am hesitant to do that for we have an old forum.  At this point i'm not even sure if our forum at 1.1.18 can be ported over to the 2.x current rev. 

Further, we want to move the SMF to an off-site host one day soon.  Would you recommend trying to set up a SMF 2.x site there and see if i can import the data/forum structure to the web host?

Night09

You need to make a backup of the entire existing site before you do anything drastic. Both the file structure and a full backup from your database in phpmyadmin panel. If you do upgrade the forum all your mods will be gone and you will have to reinstall under 2.x whatever you need.

As for WAMP ive used it for years without much issue and no need for complex solutions for things like mail sending. You can install it locally to test it out before using it for any kind of live site if you want to check it out.  Enabling services or extensions is a click of a mouse for most things including openssl.

Advertisement: