Having trouble running the conversion from IPB to SMF.

Started by kpscrapper, August 24, 2005, 10:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kpscrapper

I have just recently stumbled upon SMF and am very interested in the prospect of moving my current message board over to SMF. 

I would, however, like to "play" for a bit before I move my members over. 

I have backed up my current message board (IPB) and have downloaded the converter.

Now I'm lost.

In reading through the directions for the conversion, it says that some things will pop up on the screen walking me through the conversion process when I go to the invision_to_smf.php file.  I did get something to come up one time -- but then realized that I needed to back up my current board to have something to convert to smf ... and now that I've backed up my current board, I can't get this conversion file to work correctly.

Could someone please let me know what I should do next?

Many thanks!

Kim

kpscrapper

Okay -- update -- I have found the form that I asked about in my previous post .....

But when I put the location of where I backed up my IPB board to for smf to pull from to build my new board, it keeps telling me it can't find it, even though I am cutting and pasting the title to be sure not to make an error.

Grudge

Hi,

I'm a bit confused by what you mean by backup. You basically need to ensure that the Invision data is in the database *somewhere* and that the invision config file (Config.php or whatever they call it) is somewhere on the server. What error are you getting exactly - is it saying it can't find the config file or can't see the data? If it's the latter ensure the MySQL user assigned to the SMF database can also see the IPB database.

Grudge
I'm only a half geek really...

Advertisement: