[Request] Admin Pin

Started by Mr. Pirate, January 23, 2012, 10:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Pirate

A mod where the admin has to enter a pin before the first entrance into the admin section. That would be a nice extra safety feature.

Gary

Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Arantor

Would they have to re-enter their PIN every hour like they do with their password?

Mr. Pirate

Just for extra safety, Admin would have to enter the pin every time they login in and try to access the admin panel.

Mr. Pirate

Making it clear, every time the admin logs in upon the first attempt of entering into the admin section they have to put a 4 digit number pin before they are allowed in.

kat

If you go to Admin>Security and Moderation>General and make sure that "Disable administration security" isn't checked, they'll have to enter their password to access Admin.

Doesn't that achieve the same thing?

Mr. Pirate

No, but a pin would be a separate four digit number that they would have to enter after logging in and trying to access the admin area.

kat

I can't see anyone wanting to bother, with this, as it seems pointless.

They need a password, anyway. Why make them, in effect, have two?

Mr. Pirate

Why not? A four digit number pin is an extra security measure, just as how banks implement. They would only have to enter the password right when the click on "admin" then a Security Pin prompt would come up and they would enter a four digit number real quick.

Ricky.

Mr. Pirate need two passwords for admin, one for general stuff and other for admin related stuff.

Well, if SMF had admin in sub folder like few other software then you could have used http based password as extra security layer.

Gary

The chances of it being made are slim to none. In my opinion. It's like Kat said, not worth it.

Banks have two security checkpoints because they need things to be far more secure than SMF would. Banks store personal and financial details, SMF does not. Even then, there are sites like Paypal that handle the same facilities as a bank (to a certain degree) that also have only one password checkpoint.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Advertisement: