News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Additional admin-controlled signature

Started by Rionrace, July 20, 2012, 09:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rionrace

Hello there lads,

This is my first post here on the forums. Basically I'm wondering if there is a modification out there which
adds a secondary box for signatures. This second box is also going to be displayed on the forums, but
can only be controlled by a moderator or higher. The first box (default) is to be controlled by the users
themselves. I have been browsing through the modifications, and I haven't found a modification which
gave me the ability to do so.

Thank you in advance,

Rionrace.

Arantor

Displayed where? For all users?

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you hope to achieve with this (because it's entirely possible there is a better way to do what you want to do)

Rionrace

There are two boxes (signatures), both are displayed on the forums. One of them can be edited by the users themselves and the
other box can only be controlled by a moderator or higher.

Arantor

Why though? Why does a user need another signature that's put there by the moderator admin? What sort of things are you expecting to be in there?

Rionrace

I have a community in military simulation and we give out awards (ribbons) to some players. This function
ensures that the player does not tinker about with his own awards. (The ribbons are obviously displayed
as an image in their signature with 80x20)

emanuele

Hello Rionrace and welcome to sm.org.

* emanuele thinks that what Rionrace is looking for is a custom profile field displayed above the signature (showed on topic view), that only admins can edit.

The only missing thing would be the fact that moderators are not allowed to edit such field.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Arantor

I personally think an awards mod would do the trick.

Rionrace

Quote from: emanuele on July 20, 2012, 10:17:59 AM
Hello Rionrace and welcome to hxxp:sm.org [nonactive].

* emanuele thinks that what Rionrace is looking for is a custom profile field displayed above the signature (showed on topic view), that only admins can edit.

The only missing thing would be the fact that moderators are not allowed to edit such field.

Rather below the signature. I can make due with the fact that administrators can only edit.

Quote from: Arantor on July 20, 2012, 10:18:25 AM
I personally think an awards mod would do the trick.

Is this available somewhere?

Arantor

Go to the Customize menu at the top of this page, select Mods and do a search on 'award'.

MrPhil

A mod could be written to define a second signature block above or below the user-defined signature, with editing restricted to admin and perhaps moderators. There could be a system-wide default sig, which would be overridden by member group sigs, and there could be member-specific sigs that override member group sigs. You could even specify that admin sigs all appear, rather than override by level, and what order these sig blocks appear in. It's only code -- lots of things can be done. Anyone looking for a project?

I suppose you could even stick banner ads in an admin sig, but members might not be terribly happy with so many ads on the page.

Arantor

The thing is, yes it could be done, sure it could be done, 'it's just code', except that from the description, it's not the solution to the problem.

The problem is that additional icons need to be displayed against a user's account, not that an extra textbox is required.

Aside from the awards solution, I can think of another solution, creating a series of custom profile fields, one per award, admin can configure them (and not let the user see them), then display them by the signature which is an option.

Either of those actually focuses on the problem at hand, not the route that has been chosen to get there.

Advertisement: