News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How to add a blank page

Started by GAguns, July 30, 2012, 04:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAguns

I would like to add a blank page to my forum for contact and advertising info to go on.

I want to be able to have a page that shows my forum , the header, the current banner ad that i have. Everything below the menu tabs to be basically blank or have it to where i can ad the content i want in the page( like advertisement & contact info

How could this be done?

kat

How about using a portal?

You can add all sorts of things to that.

Something, perhaps, like this?

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1104

GAguns

If there were better images to see what it would look like i might try it.

Is my front or main page going to look like most portals?

Night09

Theres a multitude of display options for a frontpage in portals so really it can look any way you want it to look.

GAguns

Can i use package manager to install simple portal without me modifying files manually?

Will it work with other themes i am using other than default?

Night09

You can use package manager to install the portal and normally from my experience it doesnt matter what theme im using on the forums.

kat

Same here. :)

Read my sig, though, before you install ANY mods, woncha? ;)

GAguns

I'm male & i'm right all the time ;)

Will install & report back

kat

GAguns

yeah, simpleportal is kinda overkill for what i need.

What i need is a blank page that looks like my forum with the header and logo area on it, and a section below that to put info on it i want. I would also need to put a tab for it but thats no problem i use menu editor lite. . . .any suggestions other than portal?

Arantor

Does it have to be an action=something page or can it just be a bare PHP page (e.g. if your forum is index.php, the page is newpage.php or similar)?

GAguns

Quote from: Arantor on July 30, 2012, 08:48:30 PM
Does it have to be an action=something page or can it just be a bare PHP page (e.g. if your forum is index.php, the page is newpage.php or similar)?

I don't know! I would like it to look like my forum from the header down to the menu tabs & banner ad. I was going to put contact information & advertisement info  on the page.

I was going to add another tab for contact us or something , that when clicked it took you to that page

GAguns

I guess it could be eith or whatever is the easiest.

Arantor

Making it work with the tabs is harder than making it a separate page, making it a separate page is much easier though.

Your choice, either way the content can be put in, either way the menu tab can take you there, it all comes down to how easy you want this to be and how important it is for you that the tab is highlighted.

GAguns

If i didn't use a menu tab how would user's get to the page?

Would a seperate page look like my forum?

Arantor

That wasn't what I said. You can happily use a menu tab even with a custom page - you use the menu editor mod to add it (because you said you already had that), just that on a simple custom page, the tab wouldn't be highlighted.

The separate page can easily look like your forum.

Custom page code, as page.php (save in the same place as index.php and SSI.php):

<?php
require('SSI.php');

$context['page_title'] = 'The title of my page';

template_header();
?>

the page content goes here

<?php
template_footer
();
?>

Then you can link to page.php easily from your menu changes.

GAguns

I still don't know where to put this code

Go to where and do what?

GAguns

create new file in same place as index.php & ssi.php. 

Name it something like page.php right

link tab to that correct

GAguns

got it, just gotta get content in there now

Advertisement: