News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

If anyone could do this

Started by areyouserved.com, September 15, 2005, 04:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

areyouserved.com

HI there i was wondering if anyone could intregrate part of my forums into my webpage.

Basically what i mean is:  I post in my announcements in my forums and it would be displayed on my index page in a new area.  So i could post in the forums but it would come up in my index page.

Could that be done?  and for how much please pm or email me.

areyouserved.com

I would love to try all of that but i just dint have the time right now to learn CSS and HTML.  Also i dint want to intregrate the whole forums into my site i just want to be able to post new in the forums and that would come up on my index page.  If you know anybody who could do this for me please message me.

thanks

dtm.exe

Quote from: areyouserved.com on September 15, 2005, 04:26:09 PM
I would love to try all of that but i just dint have the time right now to learn CSS and HTML.  Also i dint want to intregrate the whole forums into my site i just want to be able to post new in the forums and that would come up on my index page.  If you know anybody who could do this for me please message me.

thanks

So you want someone to do this for you?

areyouserved.com

Yes i would, im not asking for free, i would pay for the work.

1MileCrash

Quote from: areyouserved.com on September 15, 2005, 04:26:09 PM

thanks

you can do this with ssi, look at this page. I think you are looking for the recent posts function. It's really simple to do, and if you run into any problems, just post here.
The only thing php can't do is tell you how much milk is left in the fridge.

areyouserved.com

OK thanks ill give it a shot, i am really new to web design and stuff like this. 

One quick question with this:  when you put  <?php require("SSI.php"); ?> at the top of your page then when you find what you want to use you would put lets say <?php ssi_recentTopics(); ?> where you want it to show up? 

1MileCrash

yep, simple as that.

But, if the page you are doing this on is not in your SMF directory, you will have to change the path to SSI to a full path, like

<?php require(" /home/***/public_html/smf/SSI.php"); ?>

replaceing *** appropriately.

areyouserved.com

this is going to be a stupid question but:

Ok i have done that but as for the **** i put /home/public_html/forums/SSI.php") what would the **** be for?

Also do i have to do that for second one as well <?php ssi_recentTopics(); ?> ??

JayBachatero

Ok you go to http://mysite.com/forum/ssi_examples.php and copy and paste the lne that says <?php require("SSI.php");?>  you MUST paste it in the first line of you page. 

<?php ssi_recentTopics(); ?> you put that were you want recent topics to appear.  also you must rename your file form .html tp .php
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

1MileCrash

yeah....he has that part down.

He is trying to get the path correct. If you are outside of the SMF directory, simply putting  <?php require("SSI.php");?> will not work. You have to put a full path.

JayBachatero

He is asking what does he replaces the asterics with.  He needs to get the path from the ssi_examples.php file.
Follow me on Twitter

areyouserved.com

What about if i just want one board to appear in my index page?  So when i post in that annoucement board it will come up on my index page. 

also does those command work with 1.05 or just the new beta version?  also my pages are html not php.

1MileCrash

it doesnt matter that your pages are html. You wont have to change anything but what you do to add ssi, and change the extension to php.

JayBachatero

you can use <?php ssi_boardNews(); ?> to include the news/announcements.  also rename your page.php so it culd work.
Follow me on Twitter

areyouserved.com

so after i add the ssi then i have to change my index.html to index.php fo rit to work?

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

areyouserved.com

Well i have a log in box on my index page that goes into my billing manager for my site will that mess it up if i change my site to .php?

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

1MileCrash

no. PHP is only parse with <?php ?> tags around it. If you took a plain htlm document, renamed it to .php, it would be EXACTLY the same.

Advertisement: