News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How to Install a Font

Started by rogueactivex, June 02, 2013, 11:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogueactivex

I hope this is the correct place to ask this question. My question is rather simple. All I want to do is install these fonts. (I can't put the link here, but they are the BibleWorks Greek fonts that I am trying to install.)

I understand that if a user doesn't already have them, they won't display correctly. I just need the instructions on how to install the fonts for my forum. I'm running SMF 2.0.3.

Thanks,
Mark

dimspace

easiest way is font face.

instructions from fontface site

The basics are pretty simple to implement the @font-face rule, but it is possible to add lots of options to extend its features.

Initially you define the rule, "font-family" is what you want to call the font, "src" is where it can be found, include a "font-weight" (not needed for normal, but required by everything else, bold, thin etc).

@font-face {
    font-family: DeliciousRoman;
    src: url(http://www.font-face.com/fonts/delicious/Delicious-Roman.otf);
    font-weight:400;
}

Then just use it like any other font in any other style rule.

p {
    font-family: DeliciousRoman, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
}

That's pretty much it for basic implementation. Please see our 'Find out more' section to find more in depth articles. When the blog is up and running we will post lots of tutorials explaining the who, what, where and why of @font-face.

So basically declared in your css file.

http://www.font-face.com/#green_content

MrPhil

Note that you need to have your desired font in 1) an appropriate format that font-face can use, such as .otf, and 2) legal permission to offer this to your forum's users. If you can't meet these requirements, you will have to find out how to install a font for your particular PC's operating system, and that font will only be available to you. If you can meet them, you can make this font available to everyone using your site, per the above instructions.

rogueactivex

Thank you for your replies, but I don't understand. Are you saying that I need some other utility to use a font?

When I navigate through Admin > Features and Options > Configuration > Themes and Layout > Modify Themes > SMF Default Theme - Curve (2.0) > "Browse the templates and files in this theme." > fonts (folder), I see several .ttf files.

I have other .ttf files that I want to use on my forum, specifically the Bibleworks Greek fonts. (I am legally allowed to do this.) I want to be able to use them while making posts, and allow other users who have those fonts installed on their PCs, to be able to use them while making their posts.

I guess I don't understand why this isn't as simple as uploading the font, and specifying the location of the font in some configuration file so that it shows up as an available font that users can use when writing their posts. With that said, does it make sense what I am asking?

Thanks,
Mark

rogueactivex

I just realized that I don't have to install a font, I just specify the font I want to use and manually change the name to whatever font that is installed on my (and everyone elses') PC.

Thanks,
Mark

Ricky.

webfonts is the new standard in which you can include fonts along with css and use it anywhere. It is supported by almost all modern browser and it then download fonts to user whenever your page is viewed as if one is downloading image.

And as "dimspace" said, you @font-face is the key :)

MrPhil

When you specify a font-family in CSS, that font needs to be available on a user's PC. Normal practice is to provide a standard Windows-supplied font, a standard Mac-supplied font, and a generic fallback (e.g., Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif). There are several mechanisms, including @font-face in CSS, to tell the user's browser where to download a certain font for use in the normal manner. Make sure it comes first in the font-family list you give, and supply some acceptable standard fallbacks in case it can't be downloaded. As I said before, you need to have a format that is usable by whatever method you're using, and it has to be a font that you are legally able to redistribute. I don't know how long this downloaded font will be available -- I'm guessing it's stored in the cache, and will expire at some point and need to be downloaded again (i.e., is not permanently installed).

Advertisement: