News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[TIP/TRICK] Hide PM Text in Email Notifications

Started by BK Modding Team, July 28, 2013, 07:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burke ♞ Knight

This is a simple trick that hides the pm text in email notifications.
This was requested on the SMF site by a member, and was originally posted by: shadow82x

../Themes/default/languages/PersonalMessage.english.php

Code (Find) Select
$txt['pm_email'] = 'You have just been sent a personal message by SENDER on ' . $context['forum_name'] . '.' . "\n\n" . 'IMPORTANT: Remember, this is just a notification. Please do not reply to this email.' . "\n\n" . 'The message they sent you was:' . "\n\n" . 'MESSAGE';

Code (Replace with) Select
$txt['pm_email'] = 'You have just been sent a personal message by SENDER on ' . $context['forum_name'] . '.' . "\n\n" . 'IMPORTANT: Remember, this is just a notification. Please do not reply to this email.' . "\n\n" . 'Instead, please visit the forum at ' . $GLOBALS['scripturl'] . '?action=pm to read your message.';

For those people who wanted this as a mod, here it is!
I have approval to post this here, since the only reason it was not approved for the Mod site, was due to being so small a mod.

Hide PM Text in Email Notifications - Link to Mod

Latest Version: 1.0
Compatible With SMF: 2.0.x

Made by: BurkeKnight - BurkeKnight Enterprises
For Support: The mod's Support topice at SMF, or at BurkeKnight Enterprises.

This is a simple mod that hides the pm text in email notifications.
This was requested on the SMF site by a member, and was originally posted by: shadow82x

Settings:
Admin > Configuration > Modification Settings > Hide PM Text in Email Notifications

Credit:
shadow82x - For posting the edit.

GL700Wing

Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

badon

Is this the #1 most requested feature for all versions of SMF during the last 10 years?

Arantor

badon

What's the most requested feature during the last 10 years that SMF still doesn't have? I'm just curious. Is there a ranked list of top requested features?

Arantor

Last 10 years? You mean before SMF was even released...?

There isn't a formal list. The most popular in recent times is for better mobile support. Other than that, most of the requested things fall into broad categories like 'clan system' and 'ranking system' (for which everyone has a different definition) or calendar tweaks which only apply to a small subset of users anyway.

Burke ♞ Knight

Quote from: badon on August 17, 2013, 05:49:20 PM
What's the most requested feature during the last 10 years that SMF still doesn't have? I'm just curious. Is there a ranked list of top requested features?

That would be a question best posted in Chit Chat, not in topic for something else. ;)

badon

Right, I'm just making a backwards point that I think this ought to be a feature of SMF, especially since it is already a feature for topic reply notifications. In any case, the mod is easy enough to do manually, and it should be pretty easy to eventually add as a new feature too.

badon

Another thing worth mentioning is that email notifications circumvent HTTPS, so they're kind of important from a security perspective. More info: Does SMF 2.0.2 support SSL/HTTPS?.

Arantor

When you figure out how to implement secure email, let everyone (including the NSA) know. In any case, SSL on forums is almost never about implementing it for protecting the content but about protecting the user's data.

In any case from a security perspective there are many, many more important things to do first.

Burke ♞ Knight

For those people who wanted this as a mod, here it is!
I have approval to post this here, since the only reason it was not approved for the Mod site, was due to being so small a mod.

(First Post is also modified.)

Hide PM Text in Email Notifications - Download Mod

Version: 1.0 | Date: July 23, 2013
Compatibility: SMF 2.0

There are no settings, so if you want to disable this mod, just uninstall it via the package manager.

Credit:

Burke ♞ Knight

This topic can be closed now, since the cust team approved the new mod for it:

Hide PM Text in Email Notifications

Hide PM Text in Email Notifications - Link to Mod

Latest Version: 1.0
Compatible With SMF: 2.0.x

For Support: The mod's Support topice at SMF, or at BurkeKnight Enterprises.

Settings:
Admin > Configuration > Modification Settings > Hide PM Text in Email Notifications

Credit:

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: