Embedded videos on my SMF forum do not work with ios7 on iPads

Started by Rainy, September 24, 2013, 09:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainy

Hi guys!

I'm sorry if this problem has already been discussed - I did a quick search before starting this topic and couldn't find the information I'm looking for.

I'm running a membership site (piano coaching) - and it is structured as a SMF forum. I teach mainly via videos - and I have always embedded my YouTube videos by using a part of the old embed code within the flash tags.

Here is how it looks (I'm posting it as an image because you have Flash turned off):

Now - the problem: many of my students have iPads. Today some of them have upgraded to ios7 - and they cannot view these videos anymore!

Do you have any idea how could I solve this problem? Is it a compatibility issue with the 'old embed code'? Maybe there's a newer way to embed YouTube videos into SMF? Maybe it's a glitch in ios7 and they will solve it themselves?

I'm running SMF 2.0.4 (should I upgrade to 2.0.5?).

Thank you in advance for your help!!! :)

Kindred

try one of the youtube embed mods instead of using flash code?

Besides... doesn't iOS have issues with embedded flash to begin with?   I know I could NEVER play emebeded flash content on the iPad.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

IOS has dropped support for flash many versions ago...
In fact, all flash/youtube videos in IOS are, AFAIK, reproduced in QT, not embed...  Or in YouTube APP, if installed, can't remember for sure now.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

yeah, if I recall, the whole apple debacle was the main reason that youtube switched to HTML5 content....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Acans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_and_Adobe_Flash_controversy

* ѕησω discreetly leaves this link, and also agrees you should defiantly update to 2.0.5 :)

Quote from: RainyI'm running SMF 2.0.4 (should I upgrade to 2.0.5?).
"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

Rainy

Thank you for your replies!

Kindred - I never used modes for my forum - are they difficult to install? Do they require coding skills?

I'm certainly not an expert when it comes to technology (I'm a piano teacher LOL)!

Yes, I heard that Apple software is not compatible with Flash - but still, the funny thing is until today nobody complained about not being able to view my videos on iPhones or iPads! Even now I just got an email from a student - saying that he can still view my embedded videos on his iPhone (but NOT on the iPad!).

I realize that I have to make lots of research now and find a solution - but I was just hoping that you guys might know a faster way to solve this problem. What I need is a simple, step-by-step way (so that a musician could understand ;D) of embedding a YouTube video into SMF so that it will be viewable on iPads running ios7 (if it exists).

I don't want to reinvent the wheel, so to speak - but if this particular wheel is not invented yet ::), I'll have to figure it out :).

Thanks again - looking forward to more ideas!!!

Rainy

Little update:

After some research, I found out that you can use html tags for embedding a video. I just posted two test videos on my forum - one containing the old embed code between the html tags - and the other one containing the <iframe> code. Now I'm waiting for my students' feedback (since I don't have an iPad) - if this works, I'll post an update here as well :).

Kindred

seriously... just install one of the youtube embed mods...    that way, you just paste the youtube url and the mod takes care of the surrounding code
Слaва
Украинi

Rainy

Problem temporarily solved!

So if i use the iframe code between html tags, the videos are viewable on iPads! ;D

It looks like this, if anyone is interested:

I realize that this solution is not the best one (because only the admin can use the html code, if I understood correctly) - so it seems that in the near future I will have to learn how to use mods (don't laugh LOL - even the smartest SMF user was a beginner once!).

Cheers,
Rainy

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: