converting from invisionfree - completely stuck

Started by alternate.pseudonym, January 03, 2014, 05:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alternate.pseudonym

I've paid for and gotten my IF database backup. I have an SMF test board set up in xampp on my PC and a real SMF board hosted and ready to be filled with my old data. I also have a copy of IPB 1.3 ready to install on xampp but I can't get it to install.

I have no idea what I am freaking doing, I am so lost and because the backup is done and ready to go I feel a certain amount of urgency to get this done so my members can go back to business as usual. Can someone please help me? Point me in the direction of some idiotproof instructions or talk me through the process?

alternate.pseudonym

I didn't have a big budget for moving etc, and I know it's not much but IF has refunded me $25 because it took them 4 weeks to get me my data. If someone can do the conversion for me rather than just give me advice it's all yours.

this is my current IF site
hxxp:z13.invisionfree.com/beyondhuman/index.php [nonactive]?

and this is my SMF site
hxxp:beyondhumanrpg.com/index.php [nonactive]

so you know I'm serious, contactable and not an annoying spammer. I won't put my data up here cos security, I'll pm a link to someone who is interested in helping, provided they have a enough posts on the forums to imply a good reputation etc

margarett

Do you have a backup of your files also, or just the database dump?
Do you have attachments in your current IF boards?

Without your files, avatars and attachments will be lost...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

alternate.pseudonym

I only have the database dump. Fortunately because we are a roleplaying forum we really don't have any attachments in posts. Also all my members are happy to be moving and aware that they will need to do things like put avatars up again, so I'm not fussed about that so long as I have accounts and posts.

Caltan

It sounds like you're stuck at the very beginning -- have your imported your IF backup to your database?  Once you have that data out of the backup file and into mySQL, you can run the convert.php with the IPB 1.3 converter and then point your SMF install to that converted table.

alternate.pseudonym

You're right, I'm stuck at the very beginning. I haven't importing my backup into the database because I'm not sure how, or if I need to install IPB 1.3 on it first. If I do I am really stuck because I can't get IPB to install. Margarett has offered to help me though so hopefully I'm okay now :)

freelancewebdesigner

I tried migrating from invision to smf before. Ended up having to start all over but forum is back now.

Hauzer

Converting from InvisionFree to any bulletin board should not be too much of a hassle, thanks to nneonneo and his development. Thanks to him, you are not required to pay for the database. However, when converting you will lose your attachments (as mentioned), avatars and also your forum structure. You may need to re-organise the categories. Other than that, everything else will remain intact.

Putting your forums back into the correct categories is also not a big job; no matter how many categories you have, since forums can't be updated in bulk.

I'm willing to convert your bulletin board over to SMF if you like, for free of course. However, I have not converted a bulletin board since 2011. I don't mean to brag either, but I've had a 100% success rate of converting bulletin boards, including extensions such as Agora, FireBoard, e107 and many other un-popular software. Haha, I just had to get that out. I'll stop bragging, I've always wanted to say that, haha.

Anyhow, I don't have much time these days but whenever you'd like it converted, I'll get to it as soon as possible.

Advertisement: