"your server has XCache installed", enable?

Started by a10, February 10, 2014, 06:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a10

2.0.7, got "SMF has detected that your server has XCache installed".

Should I enable it, and what gains (or problems...) could be expected?
Thanks
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

a10

2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

青山 素子

I don't think many people who may see this topic are familiar enough with this to answer you.

If you're not having any issues with the speed of SMF, I wouldn't bother trying it. XCache is basically an extension for PHP that allows caching of information, such as PHP code, data provided by a PHP script, etc. You'd want to use it if you're seeing speed issues as it's more efficient than using SMF's default file cache system.

Keep in mind that if PHP is configured to run as a CGI (standard CGI or FastCGI), you'll lose much of the benefit of XCache since the cache will be cleared every time the CGI process exits. Running as FPM or an Apache module will work best for this. Also, if you're on a shared server, you'll have to contend with some lack of configuration ability and the possibility that other users on the server can access the cache contents in memory.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Storman™

If the message is showing in green then you might not need to do anything as it could already be in place. Be aware that it can eat memory depending on your hosting setup. Also you won't be able to configure it on shared hosting so you'll be stuck with whatever your host gives you. Best to raise a support ticket with your host and ask them really.

If it is enabled then just set the Cache to Level 1 and there you go  ;)

If the forum speeds up then fine but don't be too excited at first as it could eat into your available resources after a while so keep an eye on it. I've seen sites fall over after a few hours if the config isn't right.

a10

Thanks for the replies  :)

It's a shared server, speed is very good with the stock 'no caching' setting, see attachment.
Will contact the host and see if they have some do\don't info.

Advertisement: