News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

vBulletin 3.8.4 to SMF 2.0.7

Started by eugenebarnes, February 19, 2014, 09:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eugenebarnes

Attempting to convert a large vBulletin 3.8.4 forum to SMF 2.0.7 using the vBulletin 3.7 converter.

Trying twice, I saw the following on the progress page:

Converting...
Successful.
Recalculating forum statistics...

With "Main Conversion" in bold under the "Steps" list.

And nothing detectable happening for hours.

The exisisting vB database is 90 MB (it is a forum that has been online for years) so I expected the conversion would take some time. But after 8 hours letting the converter work, there was no indication anything happened. Not even a progress or error message.

Not sure what should be happening, what to expect, or what may be wrong here.

TIA -- Eugene

margarett

Hi. Welcome to SMF ;)

I'm not sure why that happens, actually.

Anyway, at that part you can just skip the converter! Just go to your forum, login as admin, go to your ACP -> Maintenance -> Recount totals

If this doesn't hang, you'll be all set. If it does hang, let us know.

90Mb is a quite small database. You should be able to convert this within minutes.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

eugenebarnes

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately it appears that no data was transferred. The SMF forum is still as it was when newly installed.

Any ideas?

-- Eugene

margarett

Can you check your database, table smf_messages and smf_members, check which content is there?

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

eugenebarnes

Only the administrator and the welcome message are there.

margarett

So it totally failed. Meh :(

I will try to reproduce that.

eugenebarnes

Good news. I combined the dbs for the old vBulletin and the new SMF and ran the converter again. Looks like it worked.

A suggestion... I found the instructions for the converter a bit vague and there was no error message or clear progress indicator stating the process had stopped. Maybe a couple of things to address in the future.

Thanks for your help! I hope SMF proves to be a satisfactory replacement for vB.

-- Eugene

Advertisement: