Mixed Up Logins

Started by eutychus, March 16, 2014, 09:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eutychus

I've been having this problem for a while, but it seems to be getting more and more regular (or maybe my posters are only reporting it more now.)

When goes to the website, they may find themselves logged in as someone else! Clicking on any link will usually correct the problem and they will find that they are now correctly logged in (without having to do a logout and re login).

There also seems to be a problem with people being logged out at inordinate times.

Any ideas?

kat

Try renaming the cookie, in Admin>Server settings.

NanoSector

Hi eutychus,

Quote from: K@ on March 16, 2014, 12:22:02 PM
While this may resolve this issue, it will also log everyone out of your forum. You might want to inform your users before you do this :)

Also, do you have any mods installed, and if so, which?
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

eutychus

Quote from: K@ on March 16, 2014, 12:22:02 PM

Tried it. The problem still persists.

Relevant information:

Running version SMP v2.0.7
PHP 5.4

No mods installed. I'd like to install some mods, but am a little worried about doing it until I get this problem sorted out.

Attached is a screenshot of my server settings.

kat

Try a check in "Enable local storage of cookies".

NanoSector

You also might make your cookie name a bit more related to your forum, to avoid any other forum using the same name. Say your  forum is named "Cookies & Co", a name like "CookiesNCo_SMF207" ensures that it is very unlikely for another forum to have the same name :)
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

eutychus

Okay ... trying both suggestions. I'll keep you posted!

margarett

Actually there was another user with a similar problem some time ago... If only I could find the topic...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

eutychus

I've given this two weeks to sort itself out  abit, but it is still happening.

Any ideas?

Once again, here is a screenshot of my current server settings.

Lou69

You don't by chance have WordPress and SMF together do you?

Have you run repair_settings?

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php

eutychus

Quote from: Lou69 on March 28, 2014, 07:43:21 PM
You don't by chance have WordPress and SMF together do you?

Have you run repair_settings?

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php

Nope and yes.

eutychus

Let me backtrack on that last question for a minute because there is something that might be germane. I don't have WordPress, but the forum is in a subdirectory of an ASPX application which has it's own independent login system (and the cookies do have different names.) Could there be some sort of conflict there?

margarett

If the application doesn't try to take over the all website like WP does, then no, that shouldn't be the cause...

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

eutychus

I think we fixed this issue, but it wasn't a matter of Simple Machines at all.

Apparently some php servers use what is called "output caching" which is supposed to make pages load faster. But it also has the unintended effect of confusing some login systems when two people log in at the same time. Hence, someone "sees" themselves logged in as someone else when they are really not.

I had my hosting company turn off output caching for the site, and the problem has gone away.

margarett

Thank you very much for your feedback. This might be very important for similar issues (and I've seen at least one more).

kat

Wow! Yeah. Definitely worth trying to remember that one!

margarett

Quote from: K@ on April 11, 2014, 10:06:48 AM
Wow! Yeah. Definitely worth trying to remember that one!
I'm compiling an Excel sheet for those important topics :P My memory isn't really what it used to be anymore ;D

kat

Now, there's a plan... :)

I tend to have them bookmarked. Trouble is, my bookmarks are getting a bit out of control...

Advertisement: