Cannot access Package Manager to upgrade to the latest version

Started by mfarmer, April 07, 2014, 11:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mfarmer

Error message:

INSERT command denied to user 'dbo452575559'@'212.227.18.49' for table 'smf_log_online'
File: /homepages/38/d410768288/htdocs/forumabruzzouncovered/Sources/Subs.php
Line: 2658

Note: It appears that your database may require an upgrade. Your forum's files are currently at version SMF 2.0.5, while your database is at version 2.0.3. The above error might possibly go away if you execute the latest version of upgrade.php.

kat

Two things to check, that I can think of...

1-Do you have enough space left? If not, it won't be able to insert anything.

2-As the database user, do you have the correct privileges, to modify the tables and stuff? (If you don't understand that, or don't know how to find out, give your host a nudge)

mfarmer

I have never had a problem before!  I normally can just update the forum. 
How do I go about solving this?

kat

mfarmer

The problem would seem to be the storage space, the forum is over 100Mb it's limit: 

db452575559   1,126.64MB   1,024.00MB   -102.64MB

Any way of deleting things from it now? 

Could I do something in php admin, or would this really mess things up?

kat

You really don't have a lot of space, there. What about pruning some old attachments out, or something?

margarett

What's the size of your forum? 1Gb is a lot...

Well, you can check your folders/files for unnecessary stuff around, check especially for old cPanel backups left behind. If no wasted space is found, well, then you need to check K@'s advice.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

mfarmer

Can I delete anything from here then (in phpmyadmin) 

id_attach    int(10)       UNSIGNED   No        auto_increment     Change    Drop    Primary    Index    Unique   Fulltext
    id_thumb    int(10)       UNSIGNED   No    0         Change    Drop    Primary    Index    Unique   Fulltext
    id_msg    int(10)       UNSIGNED   No    0         Change    Drop    Primary    Index    Unique   Fulltext
    id_member    mediumint(8)       UNSIGNED   No    0         Change    Drop    Primary    Index    Unique   Fulltext
    id_folder    tinyint(3)           No    1         Change    Drop    Primary    Index    Unique   Fulltext
    attachment_type    tinyint(3)       UNSIGNED   No    0         Change    Drop    Primary    Index    Unique   Fulltext
    filename    varchar(255)   utf8_general_ci       No             Change    Drop    Primary    Index    Unique    Fulltext
    file_hash    varchar(40)   utf8_general_ci       No             Change    Drop    Primary    Index    Unique    Fulltext
    fileext    varchar(8)   utf8_general_ci       No             Change    Drop    Primary    Index    Unique    Fulltext
    size    int(10)       UNSIGNED   No    0         Change    Drop    Primary    Index    Unique   Fulltext
    downloads    mediumint(8)       UNSIGNED   No    0         Change    Drop    Primary    Index    Unique   Fulltext
    width    mediumint(8)       UNSIGNED   No    0         Change    Drop    Primary    Index    Unique   Fulltext
    height    mediumint(8)       UNSIGNED   No    0         Change    Drop    Primary    Index    Unique   Fulltext
    mime_type    varchar(20)   utf8_general_ci       No             Change    Drop    Primary    Index    Unique    Fulltext
    approved    tinyint(3)           No    1         Change    Drop    Primary    Index    Unique   Fulltext

margarett

That's a table, don't touch that ;)

Check your file explorer for unnecessary files.

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

mfarmer

How do I access that?

I can only access my forum through phpmyadmin at the moment.

margarett

kat

Before you delete ANYTHING, you will back-up first, to circumvent possible disasters....

Won't you? ;)

margarett

Now that's a first :P

How did you install SMF in the first place? You need to have a way to access your files :o

Well, anyway, you need to free up some space. Have a word with your host about that

mfarmer

Is there a way of downloading the forum into filezilla?

mfarmer

Quote from: margarett on April 10, 2014, 08:18:33 AM
Now that's a first :P

How did you install SMF in the first place? You need to have a way to access your files :o

Well, anyway, you need to free up some space. Have a word with your host about that

I used filezilla, but this was a long time ago to upload the forum.

mfarmer

Hurrah, I have downloaded to into Filezilla. 

Right, I can see my folders. 

There is quite a lot in attachments and gallery. 

Can I just delete pictures from the gallery, without breaking the forum? 

mfarmer

Can I also delete stuff out the avatar without breaking the forum?

margarett

Well, yes and no, for both cases :P

You *CAN* do it, it will not break your forum but it *WILL* cause the content to disappear where it should exist.

If you delete attachments, you need to run the maintenance task associated to those, so that the database stops referencing them.
If you delete gallery, well, that depends on which gallery you are using and whether or not it has a file maintenance task to do the same thing
If you delete avatars, whoever is using them will stop having an avatar *but* it will continue to be requested, this resulting in some 404 errors in your apache log ;)

My advice: get *ALL* your files to your PC via Filezilla (don't forget to change transfer mode to binary) and analyze who are the "disk eaters". Then think on what to do next ;)

kat

To save space, in the future, you might want to consider lowering the limits for picture sizes and stuff, in attachments.

Whilst I think about it, look for files, in the root, named "CORExxx" or similar. They can take-up huge amounts of room and they're not, really, needed. They're dumps from when the server had problems. Although, if there're a lot of them, you might want to let you host know.

mfarmer

Quote from: K@ on April 10, 2014, 11:40:35 AM
To save space, in the future, you might want to consider lowering the limits for picture sizes and stuff, in attachments.

Whilst I think about it, look for files, in the root, named "CORExxx" or similar. They can take-up huge amounts of room and they're not, really, needed. They're dumps from when the server had problems. Although, if there're a lot of them, you might want to let you host know.

Not sure where to find these files-  CORExxx   

I have deleted all pics from my gallery and everything from the Avatar folder and I'm still over 100mb over :-(

mfarmer

I am doing this correctly- 

I'm in binary and I'm just deleting up.  Does this then delete from my forum server? 

Have checked the mb figure on my host service, and it hasn't changed suggesting things are deleting out.

Illori

are you over space on your database or your storage space on the hard drive?

Illori

then removing files from your server will not decrease your database space. the easy answer is to find a host with more space rather then deleting posts etc that your users made.

mfarmer

Quote from: Illori on April 10, 2014, 12:55:52 PM
then removing files from your server will not decrease your database space. the easy answer is to find a host with more space rather then deleting posts etc that your users made.

?????

I'm not in a position to switch host at the moment and I need to get the forum back up and running, why cannot delete from the database on their server to reduce the size?

Illori

you cant just randomly delete stuff in the database without possibly breaking it totally. do you really want to risk removing your users posts etc because your host will not give you enough space?

margarett

Please have your host telling how is your space being occupied.

You didn't tell me the size of your forum (members, posts)

mfarmer

My forum host finally got back to me. 

They have checked my tables and 1.1Gb is taken up by error logs  :o

How do I find and delete these in Filezilla?  There is no file called error logs that I can find!

kat

If you have access to it, you might have a directory named "logs" in the level above (Or below, depending on how you look at it) the public_html directory, if you have that.

You can see them and delete them from SMF's admin panel, though.

Have a look at "Error logs" (Oddly enough) in Forum Maintenance. If you click on the main "Admin" tab, there should be an "Error log" that you can select, there. 'course, it might be an idea to see what all those errors are, before you bin 'em.

margarett

If you can access your forum, try to follow K@'s advice.

If not, you can go to phpmyadmin and TRUNCATE smf_log_errors

Kindred

my database for my site is over 2 gigs...

I think you need to look for another host, honestly.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mfarmer

Quote from: margarett on April 13, 2014, 12:31:08 PM
If you can access your forum, try to follow K@'s advice.

If not, you can go to phpmyadmin and TRUNCATE smf_log_errors

Not able to access through the forum website, on through filezilla or phpmyadmin 

Where is the option to TRUNCATE?   

I have under table maintenance: 

Table maintenance
Check table    Documentation
Analyze table    Documentation
Repair table    Documentation
Optimize table    Documentation
Flush the table ("FLUSH")    Documentation

Or some other options: 

Browse
Structure
SQL
Search
Insert
Export
Operations
Empty
Drop

margarett

Go to SQL tab and execute the TRUNCATE instruction there

mfarmer

Thanks, but how: 

Server: db452575559.db.1and1.com  -   Database: db452575559  -   Table: smf_log_errors
BrowseBrowse StructureStructure SQLSQL SearchSearch InsertInsert ExportExport OperationsOperations EmptyEmpty DropDrop

Run SQL query/queries on database db452575559Documentation         Fields:

Show this query here again   

Or Location of the text file:
   (Max: 49,152KB)
  Compression:
     Autodetect    None    "gzipped"    "bzipped" 
Character set of the file:    
Insert data from a text file into the tableInsert data from a text file into the table

mfarmer

margarett

Not an option, you need to write it in the SQL tab

Please perform a full cPanel backup before you do this, try not to hit the wrong table :P

margarett

Some may say, an image is worth a thousand words ;D

1 - Go to your phpmyadmin and select your SMF database. Mine is called "smf2" in this example

2 - In the tables list, click on smf_log_errors. Before you do so, take a moment to note the values in the fields I marked in red. Let us know what was there ;)

3 - Click the "SQL" tab

4 - In the edit field, replace the default text shown with "TRUNCATE smf_log_errors"

5 - Click the "Go" button in the lower right corner. There 'ya go ;)

kat

mfarmer

Hi thanks for that very detailed information.  Good of you. 

I am still over though!!  I have deleted everything from error logs (Although it hasn't free up 1.1Gb as I thought it would, gallery and so on. 

Here are the figures before the action.

mfarmer

Error logs are now showing: 

Space usage:
Type   Usage
Data   0   Bytes
Index   1,024   Bytes
Total   1,024   Bytes

The data figure has changed.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

Wel, you did have >1Gb (!!!) in logs. Man, you should check your error log more often.

So now you should be ok, not?

mfarmer

AGREED! 

No, still need to remove 36mb approx for some reason :-(   

It's like the data hasn't fully deleted itself.

Why's there still data showing above in the Index number? 

margarett

Quote from: mfarmer on April 15, 2014, 09:38:25 AM
Why's there still data showing above in the Index number? 
Because there is a minimum space for the indexes. Don't worry about that, it's really a small amount.

Now you need to talk to your host again, tell them that you emptied a big log table and your are still above your quota. Have them telling you *WHERE* that big amount of data is.

mfarmer

Thanks, called and asked the question.  They don't know the answer, they need to investigate further!!!!!!!!!!  CRAZY! 

margarett

mfarmer

All sorted! 

Many thanks for your especially margarett. 

The offending table was the error logs, it just took ages for it's deletion to show on hosts servers, it took nearly 48 hours....time to change host me thinks!

margarett

Not a bad move, I'd say.

Anyway, check your SMF error log frequently. For that table to reach 1Gb, something is wrong in there ;)

Good luck.

Advertisement: