News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Adding to WP-Multisite

Started by matth100, April 07, 2014, 12:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matth100

Hi Folks,

I am thinking to add a forum feature to a wordpress multisite install.  I read through a number of threads about 'intergration' and wanted to ask for some clarification.

Does SMF work with multisite, I have read of some overwriting issues?
If it does work, what is the fuss about integration? Is that just making it really neat for users to not need to log in twice?  My site is just a regular comments section thus far so that wouldn't really apply I imagine?

I am basically wondering if I just install SMF if the world will end or if it is quite normal, and if I can then add a link to the forum on my homepage or not.

Sorry if it seems so mundane, but many of the posts I looked through on this matter seemed to focus on more elaborate solutions or go down the path of which is best as a CMS.

Thanks,

Matt

margarett

Well, integration is really that: users are automagically served from the same database.
AFAIK, there is no working bridge for that purpose. There was in the past but it's unlikely to find something actual.

Apart from that, thee are known issues while running SMF in a sub-folder of WP. it is known for "taking over" the place and some of the imposed rules just mess up with SMF's normal operation
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Herman's Mixen

For a multi-site you can better stick with BuddyPress, as margarett has pointing out, also for the WP multi site you need a dedicated server
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

Kindred

Also, SMF does not run across domains without some modifications
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: