News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

1.1.19 to 2.0.7

Started by appleid, April 30, 2014, 03:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

appleid

Can anyone help with a URL or explanation of how to convert 1.1.19 to 2.0.7. I know the old saying, "If it ain't broke don't fix it", but, I need to get that forum up to date. I would appreciate direction or help here or just a URL to find what needs be done to update.

margarett

First things first: backup! :) Remember the converter works over your current database so a full backup is mandatory.

Then, read this:
Upgrading SMF
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

kat

Just for lolz...

Can I make a suggestion? Do as Margie says. BUT, if I was in your place, I'd upgrade to v2.0.6, first.

If that goes OK, I'd make sure everything was working, OK, then back that up (Not forgetting the database) and use Package manager to install the patch for 2,0.7.

The reason that I'd do that, is that some servers don't seem to like v2.0.7, for some reason...

By the way, if that "How to  upgrade" page looks a bit daunting, we have a "Friendly" version, here:

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/A_friendly_guide_to_Upgrading

appleid

Thank you so much. I will use the "burned out" page. Just finished my photo website and store. Took 2 weeks to learn the software so I will try this. Wake me up if I fall asleep at the computer, OK?

appleid

It is done thanks to you guys. Ten months ago I was hospitalized with a failing pancreas and a swollen brain with 20 minutes to live. I was one out of twenty thousand to survive what I had thanks to the medical team that attended me. 3 months abed in hospital.

Long story short, I have installed SMF forums around 4-5 times in the last several years for myself and a few select others. I knew how to do it and the paths with which to install and upgrade. When I started this upgrade I found that those memories were completely gone. So, I came here and am so very glad I did. Please accept a very sincere thank you for helping me with this and previous queries. I was lost in the middle of SMF and did not have a compass or a topo map. You guys bailed me out with patience.

Thank You, TCrowe

kat

Anytime, matey! Anytime! :)

peterinwa

Thanks for this topic!

I was just about to post myself, feeling a bit dumb as I was sure it must be easy to find upgrade instructions from version 1 to 2. But I couldn't... even in the FAQ.

I'm only worried that it took you six weeks to do your upgrade! LOL

The "friendly version" makes it sound so easy. Maybe if you all cross your fingers for me?

I made dozens of mods to version 1, in most cases simply eliminating features that made the forum more complex for users and cluttered the screen. I'm hoping some of these many features will be Admin options in version 2 so I can just turn them off.

Then I also downloaded mods that let me put avatars in my board headers, let users post videos, stuff like that. The "friendly version" makes it sound as if all the above will go away. Actually, that's better than what I thought might happen... the new software being incompatible with the mods I made or downloaded.

Thanks for the topic and the helpful replies. Now cross your fingers!

Peter
Here's my forum:  www.MySchnauzer.net/forums

Kindred

The new version IS incompatible with the mods from 1.1.x, and themes as well...

However, it will install a clean set of 2.0.8 files, which do t have any mods.
That being said, if your users put embed codes in posts, they won't be embedded any kore, unless you get a similar mod for 2.0.x

Finally, not sure which  features you feel "cluttered the screen" since, by default, smf is a fairly basic, straight forward forum software.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

peterinwa

Thanks for the clarification. One problem is I used a mod called Aeva and they stopped supporting it some time ago, so I doubt it would work in version 2.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude with my "cluttered the screen." I apologize!

But I meant features like users on-line, forum stats, I think there was a login area at the top of the page... I use that all for a single graphic... something called Jump to or whatever, and Hot Topics. Just a few that I removed.

I did tons of stuff. Like Help takes you to my own help files, and register takes you to instructions to send me an e-mail so I can be selective.

Thanks!

Kindred

aeva works fine with 2.0.x. I use it myself

I didn't think you were being rude... I was actually curious what you felt was cluttering :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kat

Quote from: peterinwa on June 26, 2014, 09:20:23 PMThe "friendly version" makes it sound so easy. Maybe if you all cross your fingers for me?

Worth the effort of making that, then. :) Ta, for letting us know.

Angelina Belle

Peterinwa,

I am so glad the docs are helping.
Actually, AEVA users are reporting success using AEVA with 2.0.8.  You can check out the support topic for that mod to find out if they have had toe make any customizations to AEVA code to keep it working.

As for your other mods -- you'll need to check each individually to find out if it works with 2.0, or if there is another similar mod available.  As for any customizations you have done by hand, you will have to make notes and save your 1.1.x files for reference.  The changes you would have to make to accomplish the same goals in version 2 will probably be quite similar, and sometimes identical.

Because k@ and I strive to make the beginner-level documentation in the friendly guide really helpful, we are always looking for feedback so we can improvement.  If you could be so kind as to compare
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/A_friendly_guide_to_Upgrading
to
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading
We would really appreciate it.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

peterinwa

Thanks everyone. I am actually making the upgrade (tonight or tomorrow) as a step in turning over the forum admin and eventually ownership to a current forum member. So that they can get support from you all as needed, I likely won't be making any mods to code or graphics. But should I ever change my mind, that's good info.

And maybe for my next forum!

I will of course save my version 1 files, and guess what else I did being the anal retentive person I am? I posted to get help making each of the dozens of mods, and I have links to all of those posts!

K helped me with many of them, and Angelina Belle, you have a pretty name!

I just read both versions of instructions, first the short version. And it (both) look fine to me.

Peter

P.S.

It might be overkill, but I'm going through my entire version 1 admin making screen prints of a lots of setup as backup, too!

peterinwa

The upgrade went well and thanks for all the help.

Friendly Version:  I know you want to keep it short, but I wasn't sure if I should put the forum into Maintenance Mode before beginning. Maybe that should be mentioned?

Upgrade Process and Screens:  I didn't have a clue what to do with the Upgrade Options listed on that screen, so I just left them as they were. Being a novice at this stuff, I'm more confident following directions than trying to make decisions.

Step 5. Delete Upgrade is perhaps misnamed? I would expect that to mean changing everything back if you had problems, i.e., deleting the upgrade and reverting to the old software. I think it really should be Step 5. Delete upgrade.php File.

Also the instructions said if it didn't work to manually delete the file "and its data files." What are these? The other files beginning with "upgrade" I assume?

Still Need Some Help:  Could you please direct me to instructions for things such as replacing the missing graphic or whatever in the far upper-left corner of the page? And a description of how the Members > Registration > Settings work?

Although I had no plans to start changing coding again, I think I will modify the Registration link to simply take you to my instructions and not give the user the ability to register on their own. Eliminates so many problems!

Thanks again, Peter

kat

Maintenance mode is one of those things... I've never put any of my sites in Maintenance mode, ever.

It might be a good idea, I s'pose. But, it's neither required, nor crucial. :)

So, does that NEED to be in the friendly version? Might be good to get people's thoughts, on that.

Angelina Belle

So glad your upgrade went well.
Were you able to use your theme settings to get your log back on your forum?

I've always thought it a good idea to prevent forum members making any posts that might get lost in the shuffle during database backup.  Also, I am not 100% certain what might happen if someone was trying to make a post during database upgrade. So I have always done it.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

Arantor

Technically the point the upgrade begins, it should hard-lock everything in the forum anyway.

Advertisement: