News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

A detailed description on each board

Started by evilopinions, June 07, 2014, 08:18:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evilopinions

Hi

I would like to create a detailed description for each board and what that board will scope.
Since I have close to 50 odd boards and a detailed description of each board will save me a lot of time.

Am i able to add a small text block below or above each board to enter this detailed description in some way ?

Kindred

Do you mean like this?

If so, yes...  when you set up or go to manage the board, there is a description field.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

evilopinions

Nopes but inside each board under say different threads a detailed description.

Kindred

Ah... you mean in messageindex
(fyi: what I showed was boardindex)

You know... I thought there was an option... but I can't seem to find it in the board settings
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

your themes MessageIndex.template.php

Code (find) Select
<div class="pagesection">
<div class="pagelinks floatleft">', $txt['pages'], ': ', $context['page_index'], !empty($modSettings['topbottomEnable']) ? $context['menu_separator'] . '&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="#bot"><strong>' . $txt['go_down'] . '</strong></a>' : '', '</div>
', template_button_strip($normal_buttons, 'right'), '
</div>';

Code (add after) Select

if ($context['description'] != '' || !empty($context['moderators']))
{
echo '
<div id="description_board" class="generic_list_wrapper">
<h3 class="floatleft">', $context['name'], '&nbsp;-&nbsp;</h3>
<p>';
if ($context['description'] != '')
echo '
', $context['description'], '&nbsp;';

if (!empty($context['moderators']))
echo '
', count($context['moderators']) === 1 ? $txt['moderator'] : $txt['moderators'], ': ', implode(', ', $context['link_moderators']), '.';

echo '
</p>
</div>';
}

although you may want to add some additional stying to this. i believe this is what you want... i could be wrong though.

HDB

There is a user profile setting that I think does this.

Profile> Look and Layout ... Then select "Show board descriptions inside boards"

I believe you can set this as default for new members and guests in the theme buy going to Themes and Layout> Member Options

Illori

with my edit the users can not disable it so it would always show the description in all boards.

Arantor

I have never understood why this is even optional.

Antes

Quote from: Arantor on June 07, 2014, 11:52:48 AM
I have never understood why this is even optional.

Something to change in 2.1 :P how about making it a theme setting? (enable/disable only).

Arantor

How about not having an option of any kind and just displaying it if there is one?

Antes

Arantor

See, this is one of my huge issues with 2.1 development. If you have something that doesn't make sense to be an option, it shouldn't be an option, period. Downgrading something from per-user preference to site-wide preference can be the right choice in some cases, but it should never automatically be the *first* choice.

YAGNI as a design principle exists for a reason. Along with KISS.

Illori

Quote from: Antes on June 07, 2014, 12:34:10 PM
Works for me :P

that code was from 2.1 where you cant disable it to start with.

Arantor

Oh wait *laughs* Eh, it was six months ago, I'd forgotten I'd already improved the user experience.

Antes

Kindred

meh, personally, I disagree with this as "an improvement" of UX.
I hate it when the board descriptions show inside the board itself.
:P

I would have left it as a global board setting - admin-configurable option (taken it out of theme settings and user settings, but left the option to tun it on/off, globally)
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

I didn't clarify whose UX was improved with it. ;D Of the multiple distinct use cases applicable, there are at least two directly improved with little argument against it, one that can be argued either way, and one fringe case that is slightly less so.

kat

Quote from: Kindred on June 07, 2014, 03:50:09 PM
meh, personally, I disagree with this as "an improvement" of UX.
I hate it when the board descriptions show inside the board itself.

OMG! I agree with Kindred!

Steve

Quote from: HDB on June 07, 2014, 10:47:22 AM

Profile> Look and Layout ... Then select "Show board descriptions inside boards"

I believe you can set this as default for new members and guests in the theme buy going to Themes and Layout> Member Options

Well, I'll be dipped. This is why I come here every day and it's a rare day when I don't learn something. Awesome.
DO NOT pm me for support!

HDB

Quote from: Steve on June 08, 2014, 11:10:08 AM
Quote from: HDB on June 07, 2014, 10:47:22 AM

Well, I'll be dipped. This is why I come here every day and it's a rare day when I don't learn something. Awesome.

Glad to contribute. This is a great place to pass the time and learn a few tweaks for your forum.

Advertisement: