Is it possible to have user names made up exclusively of greek letters?

Started by elTopo, September 12, 2014, 01:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elTopo

I've just set up a greek forum with SMF and I'm setting it up, right now, trying to find my way around.

Up to now everything seems to be straight forward.

When I was setting up my admin account I've tried to pick a greek-lettered name, but with enter, greek characters would be converted to html codes and that resulted a line longer than the 25 chars limit, that was not accepted by the system (bummer). So eventually, I picked one with latin letters and later defined a display letter with greek characters. But that won't do for members.

I'd like to have my members registered with usernames that consist exclusively of greek letters. I've done it with both vBulletin and phpbb. Is it possible with SMF?

Thanx! :)

Night09

You need to convert the database to UTF-8 in the maintenance settings.

elTopo

my db is utf-8. Nevertheless i did run a successful "Convert HTML-entities to UTF-8 characters" on the empty db.

But how can the help with not allowing members to use latin chars in usernames?

Kindred

More than the database...   the forum itself needs to be utf8

There is a conversion option in the admin settings
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

NanoSector

Quote from: Kindred on September 12, 2014, 02:34:30 PM
More than the database...   the forum itself needs to be utf8

There is a conversion option in the admin settings
The OP has already run said option. :)

You do need a language that supports UTF-8, though. But I think Greek won't have any issue with that.

Quote from: elTopo on September 12, 2014, 02:31:15 PM
But how can the help with not allowing members to use latin chars in usernames?
UTF-8 basically broadens the amount of characters one can fit into a row value, enabling greek characters and even more.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

elTopo

Friends, the board does accept greek characters (the problem with the html codes was during the installation where different rules apply)..

My problem is not whether ppl can use greek letters for the usernames. They can. This seems to work alright.

My question is: is it possible not to accept latin letters (and numbers) for usernames, but have the users use exclusively greek letters instead?

thnx :)

kat

I'm guessing, here...

If you set Greek as the default language and deselect "Enable user-selectable language support", I'm guessing that would work.

Never tried it, though.

Night09

If that doesnt work maybe the registration template name field could be modded to only accept one alphabet system. Im sure K@ is on to the right thing though, not sure without checking though anyway. :)

NanoSector

That still allows members to enter regular characters. :)

This is not possible without some custom coding.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

elTopo

Where can I find the "Enable user-selectable language support" setting?

vBulletin had actually some field where you could enter the characters to be accepted.

With phpbb I had to edit some php file, iirc...

kat

Kindred

In order to limit the usernames to only greek letters, you would have to edit a file or two with SMF as well...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

elTopo

K@: i had set it likewise already

Quote from: Kindred on September 13, 2014, 06:51:04 AM
In order to limit the usernames to only greek letters, you would have to edit a file or two with SMF as well...

Any pointers as to what and how?

btw. i'd like to set a minimum length of 3 letters for usernames, too...

Kindred

in register.php and probably register.template.php ---   you'll have to add a condition/error check to the username field...
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

I'd suggest splicing it into isReservedName() which covers for display names and usernames and does it centrally everywhere.

elTopo

I'd like to restrict usernames to these characters:

ΑΒΓΔΕΖΗΘΙΪΚΛΜΝΞΟΠΡΣΤΥΫΦΧΨΩ-αβγδεζηθικλμνξοπρσςτυφχψωάύίόήέϊϋΐΰ

( and if possible, set a minimum length of 3 )

Not sure how to do the splicing.. Is it too much trouble if I ask for the edit itself?

Advertisement: