Admin account not receiving new member alert and more...

Started by chrishicks, September 26, 2014, 12:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrishicks

So I decided to set registration to require approval and then put a check mark in the box for new member notification. I noticed a new member waiting for approval but I never got an email about it so I started to look at the basics. First I tried setting up a new account to see if it was just a glitch. Never got an email. Then I tried sending a few "report to admin" messages from that new account and those also never went through. I also tried with another test account and nothing there either. I thought my Gmail was blocking them so I switched over to my Comcast email and tried again. Same thing, no messages. I tried sending a PM and low and behold emails come right through on both Comcast and Gmail.

Now I attempt to send out a newsletter only to my admin account and then I notice something. In the area where it is supposed to show the email addresses of the newsletter recipients it's blank. If I switch to another other membergroup emails display. If I add another account as an Admin that email will show but my Admin email won't. I then tried using the newly added Admin account to send a newsletter thinking I just can't send one to myself(like you can't report yourself) but that resulted in that accounts email showing and sending. Again mine never received anything. Now if I manually add my email into the box for a newsletter I will receive it so I'm not sure if this is all related in some way or what.

I then look at the error log and see an error to what I'm assuming is related to the empty field mentioned above as it only triggers the error when it's empty. If there's an address there all is good. The error in case anyone wants it is:

http://xxxxxxxxxxxxx.com/forum/index.php?action=news;sa=mailingsend
2: Division by zero
File: /home/rejectsr/public_html/forum/Sources/ManageNews.php
Line: 446

Thinking maybe something was changed in ManageNews.php I downloaded a fresh install and compared it to mine and they match so there's been no mods done to this file so I'm not sure where to look next. Is there some setting that I'm completely overlooking that allows for emails when I receive PM messages but not for anything else? And does anyone have an idea as to why my admin email won't load when I try to send out newsletters?

I'm on 1.1.19 and haven't added any mods in quite some time. I also realistically can't say if this problem just started or if it's been going on for years as I just now discovered it when I decided to change up just letting people right in to the forum and then started to troubleshoot a bit.

If anyone has any type of suggestions no more how simple they may seem please let me know as right now I'm stumped and I very well may be completely skipping the simplest of things.

kat

Hmm... I seem to remember there being problems with mails going to gmail. Maybe there are similar problems with Comcast? Can you try using your own, normal, ISP's e-mail address?

Out of curiosity, who's your host?

chrishicks

Thanks for the reply. I've tried using the email account included with my hosting package and I get nothing there either. My hosting is with Xisto(low budget hosting) and I just found out that Comcast has them IP blacklisted when I was testing out sending emails from my hosting account email to Comcast and they kept being bounced back from them as spam. I don't even get a chance to whitelist the emails as they apparently get rejected at the Comcast server and not in my spam box. With Gmail I can send emails from my forums email account but the site itself isn't sending them. I even setup an Outlook email account and that didn't work either from the forum itself. It seems to be strictly related to my admin account for this issue. Any other account I give admin status to will get email alerts.

kat

Sorryyyy! I forgot about this... Doh! Did you figure this one out, by any chance?

chrishicks

No problem. We all have lives outside of the forums so it's OK. And nope, I never did figure this out. I even tested with Global Mods and they also get emails. As far as I can see it is strictly related to my own personal admin account.

kat

If everyone else is getting theirs, I have to suspect something you're doing... Heaven knows what, though...

Admin>Maintenance>Server settings. You're putting the "Webmaster Email Address" there and it's the same as the one in your profile?

Advertisement: