News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How do I get glowing names like this...

Started by HunterS, October 04, 2014, 05:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HunterS

I would like to have names like that. Coloured, with a glowing aroma surrounding it. I would have no clue on how to code it or design it, can anyone help, or does anyone know where to get this plugin/graphical change?

Thanks.

HunterS

Where would I enter this? Sorry, I'm not all that good with php, html or coding(better at coding).

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

You didn't give us enough details. Your shown picture could in any part of the forum. You have to supply us with more info especially the targeted text.

HunterS

Ohhhh...sorry.

Those are the names of people on that forum. Somehow, they are able to glow like that via member groups. I would like to know how to have it like that for my forum.

Biology Forums

Provide the link to the forum if possible where you found the example.

HunterS

HunterS

Where would I input that? Or would I have to create a html code.

ps:

Sorry, I'm not good with this kind of stuff.   :P

TehCraw

If you want the colors to be different based on what member group the user is in, things are going to get a lot more complicated. I can't think of any mods that do this, but it's worth checking. Otherwise if you just want everyone to have the same color glow, you can do things the easy way.

Find and open Themes/{your-theme}/css/index.css, scroll the bottom and enter this.

.lastpost p a:nth-of-type(1), /* Names on board index. */
.poster h4 a, /* Names on posts. */
#mlist .lefttext a /* Names on the member list. */
{
text-shadow: 0 0 10px green;
}

Save it, and there you have it. Boom bam. Obviously you can change "green" to whatever color you like.

This does not cover every instance of usernames across the entire forum because I'm too lazy to seek them all out.
Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand. - Martin Fowler

Biology Forums

Could you use text-shadow: 0 0 10px inherit; ?

TehCraw

Quote from: Shuban on October 05, 2014, 02:58:15 PM
Could you use text-shadow: 0 0 10px inherit; ?

I'm guessing not, but you could try it. You might also try leaving the color off entirely. I think some browsers automagically choose the color of the text as the shadow color.
Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand. - Martin Fowler

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

Err... Yes you can. Follow these steps:

First, you will need this mod: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3067. This SimpleColorizer mod will change your username into their member/post group color as specified in ACP > Membergroup.

Second, find the targeted area. Carvin, has suggested some of the area but there are more. This is to be added in your css file.

Third, use inherit instead as suggested by Shuban. As ACP > Membergroup has defined the color, you will just need to inherit it.

As an alternative, you can ask the mod author to add support to custom stylings (other than username inherits member/post group color as specified in ACP > Membergroup). But editing css file should be easy and it reduces calls to database.

br360

I think they are using this mod here- http://www.smfsimple.com/index.php/topic,4187.0.html

It's not free, but I think they only charge like 2 or 3 bucks per mod there.

Advertisement: