Auto-renaming of duplicate attachment file names

Started by pilotca, October 24, 2014, 04:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pilotca

The iPhone can't easily change a file name before uploading to SMF as an attachment.
So it's difficult or impossible to attach images to a SMF post since the default names like "photo.jpg" that the iPhone assigns are already taken on most forums.

Is there any way SMF could change the file name automatically upon upload, to maybe "photo-123" and maybe have a few options in the admin panel on method for auto-naming these duplicate file names?  Or maybe ask the user what new file name to use would be the best.

Arantor

That would imply that you're using a very old install that hasn't had its security configuration upgraded in, say, the last 5 years.

Since 2009, SMF's attachment system as standard encrypts the filenames so duplicates are no longer an issue.

pilotca

Thanks!  I'm using 2.0.7 from 2013, but I think you're right since the forum is much older than 2013.

Where can I find how to update the security configurations so it will accept duplicate file names?

Biology Forums

There is a modification also that allows you to rename files post upload.

Onsite

Quote from: Arantor on October 24, 2014, 04:21:13 PM
That would imply that you're using a very old install that hasn't had its security configuration upgraded in, say, the last 5 years.
Since 2009, SMF's attachment system as standard encrypts the filenames so duplicates are no longer an issue.

Same issue...
Forum set up in '05, so all attachments prior to Sept of '09 have normal file names.
Is there anyway to get the old ones encrypted?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: