News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

[Requesting Help]

Started by LueLue, October 30, 2014, 11:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LueLue

I'm not sure if this is the right area to ask this; but I need help with something on my SMF forum.
I need help installing a Mod, but I can't work out how to. Would someone be kind enough to do it for me at all?

It's a Member Groups Icons Mod, made by Joker.
I need to add in icons for staff, but I can't seem to find the area in the Administrator area; or where to go to install the Mod.
If someone could kindly download the Mod & install it for me, I'll supply my website information, & add in the icons that I suggest & then tell me how to add them in myself.

Thanks in advance,
LueLue.

Arantor

What's the website address? Are you using SMF For Free or SMF New or one of those providers?

LueLue

It's the free SMF; does it not work on the free version?
website link is; http:newdawnrsps.createaforum.com/index.php

Arantor

No, it doesn't. You're entirely dependent on the provisions made by the host.

Normal installation - where you find a paid host and run the software (SMF does not charge you for the software) - gives you full access to plugins.

LueLue

I'm making one on the "New SMF" are you able to help if I make one via that provider?

Arantor

Um... no... because same deal: they lock down what you can do to only the things they let you - and installing plugins is not on the list there.

Best bet is to find an actual paid host that will let you do this stuff.

LueLue

But how come it says you can do it, yet none of the options are there, as you've stated.

Arantor

Because you're not running a *real* copy of SMF. CreateAForum, SMF For Free and SMF New all run a specially limited and stripped down form of SMF rather than one you would run yourself on proper hosting, which is why there's no ability to add packages - because it's a security risk to them.

Advertisement: