Cleaning up after an upgrade

Started by MensaMod, November 26, 2014, 11:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MensaMod

OK, I'm impressed.  The upgrade.php ran on my clone system without a hitch (though there were a few of those 30-second !!Error displays, but they went away by themselves because I'd tied my hands away from the keyboard).  Even the "Clean up the upgrade files" did its job no problem.

So now what?  The package manager shows me a slew of Mods labeled with things like "1.1.18 Update" and such.  Can I assume that all of those have been superseded now that I'm at 2.0.9 level?  Can I/should I press the Delete button on all of those?

Then I've got several pairs like Auto Embed Video Clips version 1.9 and Auto Embed Video Clips version 2.2.  Is it SMF standard practice to that the newer version completely replaces the older one so I can delete all but the latest version of each Mod?

Assuming I have good off-site backups of the database and that things work OK for the testing period, is there any reason to keep the backup_whatever tables that the upgrade tool built for me?

Thanks.

Kindred

I would suggest that you just clean the Package directory of all zip and tar.gz files....  and then upload clean, updated versions of the mods.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MensaMod

OK, but is there any need to search out an updated version of, for instance, smf_patch_1.0.20_1.1.12.tar.gz?  I'd like to assume that the "Large Update" I installed for 2.0.9 included within it whatever code (or an even better equivalent) that had been shipped in the patch.  Am I making a risky assumption?

Arantor

No, all the patches were already included in 2.0.9. You will not need any of the 'smf_patch_*' files that have previously been issued.

MensaMod

OK, they're gone, and the Package Manager display is a lot shorter now.  Thanks.

MensaMod

Things were looking great, until I logged off.  Now I can't logon to the sandbox at all, keep getting a white screen with "Unable to load the 'main_above' template.."  I had a clean install of the 2.0.9 Large Update on top of a clone of my 1.1.19 system, followed by installing the Inlinehoverspoiler1 Mod.  (*)  That worked fine and I'm pretty sure I logged off and back on after that.  The next thing I did was the clean-ups mentioned in my earlier post.  I swear all I did was delete mods, either by clicking "[Delete]" on the Package Manage display or else by using cPanel's File Manager to delete **.tar.gz files from the \public_html\sandbox\public_html\Packages directory.  No dinking with File Manager in any of the other directories.

(1) Any clue what I did wrong so I won't do that again?

(2) Is there a way out of this short of dropping back to square 1?  In particular, most of the time spent in the upgrade.php execution was in the database updates, which probably don't need to be repeated.

Thanks.

<Edited to add...>
(*) -- I did one more thing -- I attempted to install the Custom Profile Mod 3.20 but it failed in Test so I just backed up my browser to the prior page.  Did that do the damage?

Arantor

Looks like you're using a 1.1.x theme on 2.0 which isn't going to work.

You should be able to visit index.php?theme=1 to get you into using the bundled default theme so you can change it to a different one.

MensaMod

That did let me in <whew>, but that obviously won't be a fix I can hand my users.

During the research phase before I upgraded I saw a suggestion to delete the \Sources and \Themes directories before executing the upgrade.  I'm a packrat, so what I did instead was to rename those two directories to \Sources_1_1_19 and \Themes_1_1_19, figuring that'd make them invisible to the software.  Not the case?

If that's not the story, how do I identify/repair the broken theme(s)?

Arantor

*shrug* You need to go into the theme area in the admin panel, reset the forum default to Curve (the standard SMF theme), reset everyone to 'forum default', then find and install a new theme that is 2.0 compatible.

MensaMod

That's what it's set to (see images), and it does claim to be 2.0-compatible.  And I was able to logon to this system earlier.  And I just checked: my profile is set to use the default (though of course SMF would know to show me that until after I'd logged on).

Trying to understand... Forcing the logon to use the default theme let me in, but letting the system default to the same theme blocked me?

MensaMod

MensaMod

And when I logged off just now I got that same main_above complaint instead of the logon screen

Kindred

Actually, it sounds like you have a badly installed mod that shows one way for logged in users and another way for guests.

And there is no need to keep the 1.1.x directories around if you have taken a backup.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MensaMod

OK, those obsolete directories are both gone and I've uninstalled the only mod in the Package Manager's list, but the behavior's unchanged -- not-logged-in users see the "Unable... main_above" complaint.

So how do I recover?

Kindred

Restore a clean set of 2.0.9 files
Слaва
Украинi

MensaMod

Just to confirm... What I need to do is

• extract from the smf_2-0-9.zip file I downloaded
  • delete the upgrade.php file
  • delete the upgrade.**.sql files
  • install that inlinehoverspoiler.15.zip Mod
and I should be good to go?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

MensaMod

For good measure I deleted the Sources, Themes and Packages directories (double-checking that I'm working in the cloned system), then extracted from the 2.0.9 distribution file (which re-built those 3 directories) and deleted the upgrade.** files.  Didn't even try to install the Mod.  Still broke.  I get the same result on my PC with FireFox and IE, same result on my iPad with Safari and Chrome.  The live site works fine.  Is there anything else I can try before I fall back to the backup from which I built this clone?

Could this be some sort of cache issue?  Is there a way to force those blocks out of the cache?

Kindred

You can clear the cache directory.. But it's not a cache issue...

If you actually replaced the files, then I have no idea how it could be acting the way you describe... :(
Слaва
Украинi

MensaMod

Just to recap -- This clone lives in a subdirectory of the live system, with a path that looks like this:
     /home/m2admin/public_html/sandbox/public_html
and I've been calling it with this URL:
     agm2m.org/sandbox/public_html/index.php
Is there something in that directory structure, or the way that index.php chases the files it calls in, that could get it pulling in the wrong theme file?

I need to emphasize that this structure had been working fine yesterday afternoon and this morning.  It only blew out at some point when I started "cleaning up" those obsolete mods.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement: