Yet another CAPTCHA complaint

Started by Spiral Joe, January 06, 2015, 03:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiral Joe

It would be fine if thee lines were behind the text.

Arantor

Putting the lines behind the text would make it easier for bots to break...

Kindred

and --  as has been stated several hundred times --   we're not turning it off here (at least not until we get 2.1 running here and can use the multi-language-questions feature)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

...even though you guys have a mod available that would work on 2.0?

Spiral Joe

Quote from: Arantor on January 06, 2015, 06:49:17 AM
Putting the lines behind the text would make it easier for bots to break...
oh....

damn bots

Quote from: Kindred on January 06, 2015, 07:14:24 AM
and --  as has been stated several hundred times --   we're not turning it off here (at least not until we get 2.1 running here and can use the multi-language-questions feature)
It's not either on or off you know. This  topic isn't about adding questions to anything. There's nothing between the lines here.

You sound a bit rude.

Arantor

He's just blunt and to the point, not rude. (And on a phone, to boot)

The thing is, making it easier for humans makes it easier for bots and we get enough spam here that we don't want to turn it down.

On the other hand, we would like to use Q&A (which is *infinitely* better at handling the bots than CAPTCHA ever was)... but Kindred makes the point that we can't use Q&A here due to lack of multiple language support.

Even though as I pointed out, there is a mod available that provides Q&A in multiple languages. I see no reason why we can't use that mod on this site, except for getting the translators into gear to get it done. (Before anyone says 'but we don't like running mods on simplemachines.org', there's already one mod I wrote on there, why not make it a second? Especially as it was based on the code in 2.1 which will be used anyway... which I also wrote :P)

Advertisement: