News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Super admin & New Messages indicators.

Started by Elmacik, October 17, 2005, 11:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elmacik

i think there must be a super admin in SMF.
all the admins have the option to remove any admin out of the list or add new ones.
MAYBE this is normal. BUT, there should be a super admin = owner.
they all should have the same permissions (all of the permission) but one or maybe two difference;
super admin (= owner) should have the option to protect himself/herself to be removen out of the admin list.
and maybe one different option more; he/she should be able to let the other admins remove any admin out and put a new admin in. and there should be an option for the owner to assign the ownership to someone else.

and the second one:
there is ofcourse an indicator for the new posts/messages. but how about carrying this indicator to the "message icon" ?
Home of Elmacik

flybywire44

PHBB has a great popup windows notification that works well...

*wonders if anyone will replay "this is not PHPBB"*

:)
-Rick
hxxp:www.alphaomicronalpha.org/forums [nonactive]

Ivan Minic

Yes... both things are needed... Owner and beter notification...
And the one phpbb is using is not a solution.. popup is never a solution.
However .. solution that would look like this thing here would be nice. This mod isn't being used in such manner now, but, you will get the point after you see it in action here (the top row)

flybywire44

hmm... Then I'd say its safe to assume that we both represent cross sections of users who are for and against popups. Either way something else is definetly needed.

Keep it up SMF team!
hxxp:www.alphaomicronalpha.org/forums [nonactive]

allever

Quote from: Ivan Minic on October 18, 2005, 05:25:14 PM
Yes... both things are needed... Owner and beter notification...
And the one phpbb is using is not a solution.. popup is never a solution.
However .. solution that would look like this thing here would be nice. This mod isn't being used in such manner now, but, you will get the point after you see it in action here (the top row)
The Internet Explorer 6 SP2 style mod is easy to convert.  It can be downloaded from here when it's approved.

Sometimes, it's the little features.. Err, things that matters....

Fatih!

yes, i agree with Elmcik.
it's wonderfull  idea to protect him/her account :)
Tek sorunu; düşünebilmekti...

Alan S

The Super Admin Is Definitly A Much Needed Feature...........You Really Have To Trust Someone To Give Them Admin Powers , As They Could Take Away Your Admin Privledges and Screw Up Your Site
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on August 23, 2008, 04:10:10 PM
SMF 7 is where it gets good. That has time travel. You can go back and post before the guy who flamed you. :P

bLeDa

Quote from: DeDu on March 06, 2006, 01:01:09 AM
yes, i agree with Elmcik.
it's wonderfull  idea to protect him/her account :)

+1 Dedu  :D
Gerçi salonlarda senin "yıldız"dı adın,
Hakikatte fahişesin ey alçak kadın!
Ey allıklı ve düzgünlü yosma bil şunu:
Bütün millet öğrenmiştir senin fuhşunu.
Omuzun da neden seni fuzuli çeksin?
Kinimizin şiddetiyle gebereceksin!.. 
Topal Asker - Hüseyin Nihal ATSIZ
Yeni Mekanlar

http://www.mekanbura.com  ( Paylaşım )
http://www.bulindir.net  ( Mp3 Download )

Alan S

i've just realised this is needed quicker than ever........my password just got changed and my admin provledges taken away by another admin on my forum...........luckly i was able to deleted the database
SMF 7 is where it gets good. That has time travel. You can go back and post before the guy who flamed you. :P

Fatih!

Quote from: alan s on March 06, 2006, 09:07:12 AM
luckly i was able to deleted the database
yes, so was I, But I think  most of smf user can't  :P
Tek sorunu; düşünebilmekti...

H

Although it is needed it shouldn't be.

Admins should be people you trust.

Also you should have the knowledge to reinstate your account if it is deleted.

However it shouldn't be too difficult to hardcode SMF so that user 1 cannot be deleted (I know this is in the tips section but it should exist by default!)
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

anunlike

Quote from: huwnet on March 06, 2006, 01:05:12 PMAlthough it is needed it shouldn't be.

Admins should be people you trust.

Also you should have the knowledge to reinstate your account if it is deleted.

However it shouldn't be too difficult to hardcode SMF so that user 1 cannot be deleted (I know this is in the tips section but it should exist by default!)

Aye, but another admin can change your status and take away your admin priveleges.

What if you trust the admin, but you fall out of favor with each other and s/he decides that you should no longer be an admin and deletes your account or changes your status.

I agree, having a "super admin" would be good, allowing only myself, as a super admin, to be able to change my status or delete my account. I should still be able to change the other admins' statuses and delete their accounts, but only I can change mine or delete my account.

HecKel

You can create a new group and give all the permissions you want and protect youself! I don't think that this new "default group" is important, you can "control" this if you want.

Btw, if you give the admin permission to an user i'm sure you trust him, or not?

HecKel

anunlike

Quote from: HecKel on March 07, 2006, 10:08:05 AMYou can create a new group and give all the permissions you want and protect youself! I don't think that this new "default group" is important, you can "control" this if you want.

That's a good point and easy to do, too.

However, some admins may not know that or it may take a while to get used to the permission system.

Quote from: HecKel on March 07, 2006, 10:08:05 AMBtw, if you give the admin permission to an user i'm sure you trust him, or not?

The "super admin" or owner or whatever may trust another person enough to be an admin, but it's possible that things could change. They may have a falling out or disagreement as to how things should be run or something and this just allows for protection.

I still think it'd be very nice to have by default as protection for the "super admin", another security feature.

TechnoDragon

There is no point to create a super admin when the feature is already there in permissions...honestly, if someone is going to take on the creation and management of a forum he/she should take the time to learn what features are there and how to use them before asking for another feature. 

You can very easily give someone admin like privaleges without compromising your account through permissions.

On my forum I just created a membergroup call assistant admin and gave them enough permissions to help me run the forum but not the ability to screw with my own account.  Not only that you should as the owner of the forum has full access to the database so you can easily fix that problem there as well.
Don't tell me to get into shape...I have a shape...It is round!

anunlike

Aye, it's very easy to do with the permission system and effective.

It'd still be nice to have as a security feature, IMO. How/Whenever the primary admin account is created, all permissions come with it, but any subsequent admin accounts don't have the ability to delete the "super admin's" account or change his/her status.

Advertisement: