News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Query a database table within a template?

Started by samborabora, May 12, 2015, 12:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samborabora

How do I manually query a database table inside a template, without using a variable (since it isn't defined)?

margarett

It's considered bad coding practice (due to the separation of computation/display) but you can do it like if it was in any other place ;) It's just PHP code in the end :P
Just global $smcFunc and whatever other variables you might need.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

samborabora

Ahh! So, whereabouts is it best to put a database query if you need it displayed at a specific point in a template? Should I define a new variable, and if so, how?

margarett

It depends on where you need the data ;)

If it's everywhere, somewhere in Load.php is probably the best place. If when viewing a topic, Display.php, etc etc.
Usually what most people do is to feed the result to $context (because it is everywhere), then show its value in the template.

Eg:
In Sources (the file that you see fit): $context['my_variable'] = $result_from_your_query;
In the template: echo $context['my_variable'];

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

samborabora

Excellent, so i need to query if the "seen" column in the "js_alerts" table is 0 or greater (I assume that would be the same as checking if it is empty or not?) and if so, I'll have the alerts image change to the new alert image. I also need to grab the number in that column if it is greater than zero to display the number. What should I put in load.php, and where exactly in the file should I put it? Presumably something using $smcFunc?

margarett

If you don't want to add an extra query to EVERY page load, it's best to see if that table isn't already being read in Load.php ;) Is it?

samborabora

Quote from: margarett on May 12, 2015, 02:23:44 PM
If you don't want to add an extra query to EVERY page load, it's best to see if that table isn't already being read in Load.php ;) Is it?

It isn't already in load :D  And it will be on each page of the mobile template since it's the menu that's calling this

margarett

OK, I see... In that case it's probably to just call it in maybe loadTheme? That way you can even filter by theme ID.

samborabora

Okay, I saw you wrote this out for someone:
Quoterequire(dirname(__FILE__) . '/SSI.php');
global $db_prefix, $smcFunc;

$request = $smcFunc['db_query']('', '
         SELECT id_board, title, start_date
         FROM {db_prefix}calendar
         WHERE id_board == '$board_id'
         AND start_date >= '$today'
         ORDER BY start_date DESC
         LIMIT 5'
      );

while ($row = $smcFunc['db_fetch_assoc']($request))
      {
         //Do stuff
      }

$smcFunc['db_free_result']($request);

Is any of that similar for what I would need to query this column? I've never actually done any SQL querying before :p

samborabora

And would it go in loadTheme, then be called into the template via a variable?

samborabora

Here is a query I'm supposed to use:

global $smcFunc, $user_info;
$result = $smcFunc['db_query']('', '
SELECT COUNT(1) AS total
FROM {db_prefix}alerts
WHERE id_member = {int:member}
AND seen = 0',
array(
'member' => $user_info['id'],
)
);

list($total) = $smcFunc['db_fetch_row']($result);
$smcFunc['db_free_result']($result);

I have no idea where to put this. I have been told to use $total as the variable in the template. Where should I put this query (presumably in load.php?) and how should I call it into my template?

margarett

Put it in loadTheme (it's really not the best place but a quick and dirty fix works here :P )

Find
// Set up the contextual user array.

Add before
$result = $smcFunc['db_query']('', '
SELECT COUNT(1) AS total
FROM {db_prefix}alerts
WHERE id_member = {int:member}
AND seen = 0',
array(
'member' => $user_info['id'],
)
);
list($total) = $smcFunc['db_fetch_row']($result);
$smcFunc['db_free_result']($result);

Find (few lines below):
'ignoreusers' => $user_info['ignoreusers'],
Add after:
'total_alerts' => !empty($total) ? $total : 0,

Now, in your template, when you want it, you can check:
if (!empty($context['user']['total_alerts']))
{
//Do your thing
}

samborabora

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This actually works, and you've helped me solve a puzzle that has plagued me for months, thank you SOOOOO much, margarett!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Advertisement: