News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

1.1.20 --> 2.0.10 upgrade, a few random questions

Started by chrishicks, May 15, 2015, 06:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrishicks

First off I fully understand the rule of thumb: BACKUP! BACKUP! BACKUP!! which I'm currently doing multiple times(just to be safe) as I type this. But where I'm a bit lost with doing the upgrade is in the little things like smileys and such. Through the years I have added 100's of them. Of course they all went into the default folder because when I first started with SMF I never really thought of the whole "will be dead one day" aspect of 1.1.x so I never planned ahead. Is there a way I can preserve all my custom smileys(renaming the folder/changing the path/whatever) so I won't have to redo them all after the upgrade? Can I just remove the default smileys folder from the upgrade before uploading?

Another point of interest is with portal blocks. Do I need to save the code in each and every block so I won't have to go searching for them again after I install the newest version of the portal or is that saved somewhere that I haven't seen yet? I plan on sticking with the same portal unless I read something that says it's no longer good to have or whatever. Of course I'll have to save the codes if I switch but do I if I stay with the same one? The same goes for the feed poster. Do I need to save all of the various feeds I use or are those saved/preserved in an upgrade like this?

And my last(?) wonder is with the galleries I have installed. When I first installed SMF I used SMF Gallery and later on down the road I installed SMF Media Gallery(I never upgraded to the newer AEVA combo mod). They both worked so I never removed one or the other. Now with SMF Media dead I want to go strictly with SMF Galley 5. Can I somehow merge the SMF Media images into that? Also, will my current SMF Gallery images still be fine once the new version is installed?

I know these probably seem like asinine concerns but I'm just trying to make my upgrade as smooth and quick/easy as possible and these had me wondering. I just don't want to create any unnecessary work for myself if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide with this.

Kindred

1- when you upload the 2.0 files, don't upload/overwrite the smilies directory -- all set

2- depends on the portal, but, in theory, if you just install the 2.0.x version, it should pick up the existing blocks out of the database. Best bet is to ask the mod author of whatever portal you installed (in the thread or on the site dedicated to supporting that portal mod)

3- For that, you are really going to have to ask the mod author... (again, in the thread, or on the site dedicated to supporting the gallery mod)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: