News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

If SMF=broken, can I reinstall w/o losing db?

Started by RedCairo, May 19, 2015, 08:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedCairo

Hmmn. Saw a file in FTP that made me think that was it... couldn't get in to see anymore so.... Well, I downloaded (and put on FTP) 2.0 not 2.10, but I could do that if it's better? I was trying to choose what I thought I had but at this point maybe it doesn't matter.

So reading the ugprade info, I did the file permissions change per instructions. I called upgrade.php and... I still get a white screen, nothing.

I made sure of the value of that Settings.php file (put it back, I had taken it off the server) as maintenance being zero (0), repeat running doesn't affect anything. White screen.

Tried the upgrade file a few times more again. Cleared all caches and tried again.  ...White screen.

Well that earlier action really really effectively took care of the copyright notice I will give it that.

I don't know why I can't get anything but a white screen despite repeatedly uploading, checking (permissions and size) of Settings.php file, checking values in file, calling it and from multiple browsers, same for upgrade.php file as well.

I am seriously starting to feel like the universe is conspiring against me. Meanwhile I'm trying to get a local version of mysql set up so maybe I can download this database so I don't have to be so terrified about killing it with whatever I'm doing with the forum.

Any other ideas are welcome. I'm kind of exhausted from it and I can't believe what altruists you guys are, helping kvetching people like me all the time here. Many many thanks for sure.

Dav999

A white page sounds like a PHP error...

Does the forum say anything if you make a file called .htaccess in your forum folder with the following contents:
php_flag display_errors on
php_value error_reporting -1

RedCairo

Thank you. I made the file and uploaded it and called it.

Error occurred: 500 - internal server error

Apache Server at: s61408.instanturl.net

That doesn't tell me much. :-(

I noticed something on FTP that was not present earlier (unless I reverse-hallucinated earlier...).

These files:

index.php~
SSI.php~
ssi_examples.php~

On the FTP server all have tildes at the end of their names. I'm sure they didn't earlier and the files on my hard drive (both from my previous download of the whole site, and the ones from the new 2.0 'upgrade package' download earlier) do not have this. Weird.

Topman

RedCairo, You and me both are having virtually the same problems.
See "A little help Upgrading from 1.1.21 to 2.0.10"

All I have managed to do is get the 2.0.10 full install to work but with a new database no previous data which is obviously no good.

In the meantime, my current working forum is still 1.1.21 and all attempts to upgrade have ended in failure.

At least we are no alone!

Topman

QuoteI am seriously starting to feel like the universe is conspiring against me. Meanwhile I'm trying to get a local version of mysql set up so maybe I can download this database so I don't have to be so terrified about killing it with whatever I'm doing with the forum.

You should not be messing about with SMF files if you have not got a back up copy of your working database downloaded on your PC.

You are running quite a risk.  I uploaded a couple of copies of my database to new MSql databases numbers and can therefore play with SMF and the files and install in the knowledge that I have not at least lost my forum completely.  Like you it has been going for several years.

Quotethe universe is conspiring against me
You and me both matey!

Dav999

Since .htaccess seems to result in an internal server error, remove that file again.

Can you find a PHP error log anywhere in your FTP tree?

RedCairo

Hmmn. I don't see anything that looks like that, although I don't know exactly what I'm looking for, aside from a file that says err* or log somewhere in its name.

Hopefully I can have the database fully backed up by tonight (I work for a living and it isn't this stuff, so time is limited) at which point, once I have that, I hope there is some way to just do a whole new install and then restore the db to it or something. Surely I can't be the first person in the world to run into this...

RedCairo

Well so far I haven't solved this though I had to take some time off and work for a living alas. Forum still utterly down. Server corp has upgraded several other of my sites, causing issues (with file permissions, with 'missing' files from the previous few days to final transfer, with DNS entries where A and WWW records differ) and I have another tiny personal version of SMF on another machine they just upgraded and it has exactly the same problem now -- the message at the top that the theme directory is not found.

Meanwhile I got MySQL 5.6 downloaded and installed and have been reading its docs but my brain is about to explode. Holy mother of -- why, after all these years, does anything need to be so complicated? Is there not a GUI shell that will let me just put in my db settings and say "OK back up that remote server db to my local"?? Do you guys know of anything like this? I can't even get through all the stuff about db types (I thought the db type was "MySQL" shows you what I know) and backup types and more. I just want a way to save this bloody database and be able to restore it so I can do a 100% clean install of SMF modern version and then reimport my database into it. This should be possible, right??

Do you guys know of any GUI admin/program that will let me do this with MySQL?

Thanks a ton for any help,
PJ

Topman

I am still in the same boat as you - unable to upgrade due to something wrong with the database.
At least I do have a working version of my forum and database even if it is 1.1.21!

If I could help you I would.
If I ever get to the bottom of my issues I will be sure to post here to see if it helps you RedCario

RedCairo

I installed phpMyAdmin but can't get the remote server info added without breaking it. I tried to use the backup tool that UniServer Zero XI offers but it won't connect to my DB although I can do it via my coldfusion app no problem. You know... universe conspiring. Forum still totally down.

I was so desperate this morning I finally had to ask my ex for help. That is pretty desperate. He has agreed to work out saving the db and then reinstalling fresh modern SMF and then putting the data back in. Hopefully... this will go well. I'll have to pay him but before the forum members arrive to lynch me, losing money rather than blood is probably a better alternative. ;-) Hope it works.

Advertisement: