News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Old site topics with no replies - time to archive or remove?

Started by Chas Large, June 06, 2015, 06:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chas Large

Just a thought,

Whilst looking through the site, I found a huge list of topics which have never been replied to, some dating back to 2004.

Is it not worth archiving these as they are mostly questions about old stuff, no longer valid which might also have a detrimental impact on search results.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0;sort=replies

As I said, just a thought.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Douglas

On one hand, I would say yes, but on the other... you do realize you're showcasing a nice feature for SMF, right?

(Yeah, I know... this is not helping, haha!)
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

Kindred

Well I would hardly call 3 pages "huge" - especially when many of them are "moved" topics.

No I don't think we need to delete or otherwise modify them...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on June 06, 2015, 07:29:02 AM
Well I would hardly call 3 pages "huge" - especially when many of them are "moved" topics.

for you there are only 3 pages, for others there are many more...3123 pages shown there but not all of those have no replies and include topics that support mods that i have not read.

Antes

LiroyvH

... I have 1366 pages. :P
* CoreISP never uses that function. Maybe accidentally once or twice.

Not sure if there's really any benefit to removing them.
Though moved topics of more than x time old might be a candidate.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Chas Large

2286 pages for me, hence the posting of the topic.

BTW, this came about because I was looking at unread topics when I got the "No unread topics click here to read all unread topics" link in the bar, clicked it and got the 2K worth of old stuff then sorted to find the zero replies. Amazing how many topics over the years have never had a reply.

Anyway, It bothers me not, just thought it worth mentioning as it might have an impact on the search results which often are so weird.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Deaks

~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

margarett

Quote from: Poύνικ on June 07, 2015, 05:24:40 PM
4 pages for me
You mark all as read much often :P

23 pages for me, 1+1/2 page is "moved" notices.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Deaks

~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Advertisement: