News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Looking to change colours in Default

Started by Topman, June 12, 2015, 07:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topman

I want to change a few of thee default colours to match my previous forum.
I thought it would be easy but the 2.0.10 default index.css is huge!

What I want to do is:
1) Get rid of the Orange BOARD links to a blue.
2) Change the grey background to the board catagories.  I dont know where or what the name of the file is in images.
It was catbg.
3) Change the white forum background around the catagories etc to the same as the main background.

I have looked on this forum and had a play with it but there is just so many files now.
Perhaps  someone could give me a helping hand.

Illori

have you tried using the development tools that come with your browser? might be easier for you to find a theme that has the changes you want in it already. some of the changes may involve changing colors of images not just changing the CSS colors.

Topman

Quote from: Illori on June 12, 2015, 07:25:06 AM
have you tried using the development tools that come with your browser? might be easier for you to find a theme that has the changes you want in it already. some of the changes may involve changing colors of images not just changing the CSS colors.

Yes I have played with FireFox FireBug it highlights what the code colour is but not where it is.
I have tried editing trial and error in notepad, got the background to light Blue.
And yes I know they are images. I just need to know what name is now given to the category header image. It was catbg

Kindred

firebug indeed does tell you EXACTLY where the CSS object is called from

for example:
h4.catbg, h4.catbg2, h3.catbg, h3.catbg2, .table_list tbody.header td.catbg {                                                                 index.css:790
    background: url("../images/theme/main_block.png") no-repeat scroll 100% -160px transparent;
    padding-right: 9px;
}

Also, don't use notepad.   for editing web files, you should be using notepad++ or conText (free utilities)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Topman

But were is the catbg image in 2.0.10?
Oh I see, they are all mixed in the one image and you change whichever one.

Where do I get rid of that horrible orange text?
Yes I know its index.css but where abouts in that huge file?

Illori

you want to change the orange everywhere? then change everywhere in index.css you see #d97b33 and #c06002 .

Topman

Kindred

again...   firebug WILL tell you exactly WHAT line in the file EACH instance of a class or ID is defined.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Topman

I have tried using Firebug and cannot figure it out!

I will use the main_blok and menu.gfg image files and Paint adding a red,blue,green,black,yellow  to the bands and look to see what they change then I can start with my colours.

Gluz

If you look carefully, it says index.css:55, that means that the div#wrapper is defined in index.css in the line 55, and if you put the mouse over the text index.css it tell you there exactly is located the file.

Topman

Ah, now I see!
You have the left hand bit set to html.
You use the icon above edit then click on the element and it is show in the right hand side box.
I was using it set to css not html.

Thanks for your help again Gluz.
Have you ever considered a job in teaching? You clearly have a gift of explaining things clearly and simply for us novices.

Blade~

I'm also new with SMF and still just playing around but just found the orange title links. Go to line 1574

/* the board title! */
.table_list tbody.content td.info a.subject
{
   font-weight: bold;
   font-size: 110%;
   color: #d97b33;

Change 'color' here to whatever value you desire.
'Do nothing and there is nothing that's not done' - Lao Tzu

Running SMF 2.1.4
PHP version: 8.1.16

Topman

Tip: In Notepad++ you can "edit" then "find" then enter the horrible Orange ref and select "change all" to your colour choice.

Blade~

Quote from: topman on June 19, 2015, 01:52:37 AM
Tip: In Notepad++ you can "edit" then "find" then enter the horrible Orange ref and select "change all" to your colour choice.
Sweet!  Thanks!   :)

Running SMF 2.1.4

Steve

Um, be careful about changing all as it may change areas you don't want changed.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Blade~

I know ... thanks for the warning Steve, I am just learning the trade yet. I did setup a separate (hidden) test forum and I try everything there before I put something live on our site ... appreciate the advice!

By the way, in my signature there is this '[nofollow]' after my website link, why is it there and how can I get rid of it???

Thanks!

Running SMF 2.1.4

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on June 19, 2015, 10:14:22 AM
post enough appropriate posts....

and then edit the signature which will then remove it... otherwise the nofollow will stay there.

Blade~

Running SMF 2.1.4

Topman

Quote from: Steve on June 19, 2015, 09:54:23 AM
Um, be careful about changing all as it may change areas you don't want changed.

Agreed, but the horrible orange you wouldn't want to keep anywhere!

Steve

I happen to like orange so blanket comments like that aren't necessarily true. ;)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Blade~

Quote from: Steve on June 20, 2015, 08:31:49 AM
I happen to like orange so blanket comments like that aren't necessarily true. ;)

We are also keeping some orange as it matches text styles on our website, however we need more modifications on the background colors ... this seems to be the more challenging right now ...  :-\

Running SMF 2.1.4

Advertisement: