News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

I want google and Bing to crawl My Forum For ranking

Started by coromi52, July 08, 2015, 10:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coromi52

I have a Forum and I have submitted to google webmaster. It just does not show any traffic. Not sure if it is really crawling and indexing my site. My Forum is www xbmcm3u com. Let me know if anyone can give me their 2 cents. Thank you

Sir Osis of Liver

If you enable Admin -> Core Features -> Search Engine Tracking, it adds 'Search Engines' to the Members section in ACP, and allows you to track spider activity on you forum.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

shawnb61

If your forum is hosted, and offers Cpanel, take a look at your Cpanel reporting options.  You may have a reporting option called AWSTATS or similar. 

AWSTATS is very helpful and worth familiarizing yourself with - if it is available.   
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

coromi52

I will check my cpanel. But under there it shows literally NEVER for almost all of the last seen Spider name. Going to look on cpanel. i have hostgator. Please any other inputs? Make like $2.00 with almost 15,00 users and another site getting over 10,000 views a day. Thank you

coromi52

Logged into cpanel and no AWSTATS . Unless it is hidden in a folder or something. Can I create this file? I really want detailed indexing/crawling of  the Forum. Thanks again.
If you are into xbmc/ kodi let me know as well. I have a big following and always looking and learning for ways to rank.

Niko_Bellic

If you want spammers, let Bing index you. If you do not, block Bing.
Every time me or a friend let Bing index something, the site got hit with well over 90% more spammers, than the sites that blocked Bing.

margarett

It does take some time for Google to crawl your site after you request it. Don't know how it works for Bing, though. Did you also confirmed yourself as the owner of the site by uploading the file they provide you?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Night09

Quote from: Niko_Bellic on July 09, 2015, 06:26:17 AM
Every time me or a friend let Bing index something, the site got hit with well over 90% more spammers, than the sites that blocked Bing.

Hiding in a dark corner un indexed you wont get spammers really. Doesnt make any odds who your indexed with if theyre coming they will come, should have sites secure enough to not matter. ;)

Antes

If your site is new, create a sitemap & use ping services do once a day to avoid search engines mark your site as spam. Make sure your robots.txt not blocking any major search engine.

shawnb61

I use Hostgator, and Awstats is available on Cpanel under "Logs".  See the attached pic. 

In terms of ranking, nothing beats having good content...   It's a bit of chicken & the egg - if topical posts are made daily, that helps a LOT.  But how do you get knowledgeable people to come to your forum and post? 

You should use Google Webmaster Tools to ensure your content is visible.  Do many "Fetch as Google" tests, trying various posts & topics, to ensure that what you want visible is visible and what you want hidden is hidden.  This will help you confirm that Google can see your page.   

You can also do Google searches using the "site:" operator to confirm which content Google has indexed.  E.g., "GP-10 site:vguitarforums.com" shows me that Google has indexed my GP-10 content.   

Regarding Bing... My least favorite topic...  My site was so overtaken by crawlers, our CPU activity was, literally, off the charts.  Very long story, but ultimately I worked on robots.txt that helped a lot.  I blocked aggressive crawlers, sometimes by IP (through HostGator's IP Deny Manager, that updates your site's root folder .htaccess file).  But I still had one pesky bot that dinged my CPU on a regular basis.   

It was Bing.  Using Bing's Webmaster Tools to govern its crawl rates & times was NOT honored by Bing.  Ultimately I blocked Bing outright via .htaccess as well, and my CPU usage is now stable.  My problem wasn't spammers, it was bingbot itself. 

Bing dominated my CPU, ignored the Bing Webmaster Tools settings, and contributed almost NOTHING in terms of web traffic.  I don't miss them.  I kept the logs & screenshots, etc, if anyone's interested. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Niko_Bellic

Quote from: Night09 on July 09, 2015, 07:35:27 AM
Quote from: Niko_Bellic on July 09, 2015, 06:26:17 AM

Hiding in a dark corner un indexed you wont get spammers really. Doesnt make any odds who your indexed with if theyre coming they will come, should have sites secure enough to not matter. ;)

Who said anything about hiding?
There's a lot of other search engines out there, and according to stats when I had submitted to Bing, every one of the spammer accounts, came from the Bing search. Now, if that does not say something about it, I don't know what will.

This may help: http://freewebsubmission.com/

Night09

Ive used Bing for years and never suffered 'spam attacks' because of it. Maybe your not pulling in the right traffic for what you want.

Niko_Bellic

Advertisement: