Some questions about SMF SEO

Started by panelpro, July 16, 2015, 10:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panelpro

I am trying to rank a well-moderated forum (every post is manually approved and keyword targeted) for a niche and needs some ideas to a solution that works as Yoast SEO plugin for WordPress.

I have searched Google for smf seo related tips and stumbled on this thread, I have gone through the thread as well as implemented the robots.txt, sitemap and sundry.

Optimus Brave Mod seems to work well but I need something as good as Yoast seo plugin, I also came across a post talking about a paid seo mod by smfpacks.com but don't know if it has all features as Yoast.

Are there solutions (free or paid) that works exactly as yoast with keyword targeting and all that?
I'll also appreciate other tips for ranking a SMF 2.1 forum for local searches. 

Kindred

do note that most "SEO" that works for sites like blogs is pointless on a forum site

Things like prettyURLs is absolutely pointless (urls have little, if any, impact on seo these days)
That also goes for the "url portion" of mods like the one linked...
The authors and sellers want to CLAIM that it makes a difference, but it does not.
What improves ranking in CONTENT -- and, on a forum, that is impossible to control.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

panelpro

Quote from: Kindred on July 17, 2015, 08:22:59 AM
do note that most "SEO" that works for sites like blogs is pointless on a forum site

Things like prettyURLs is absolutely pointless (urls have little, if any, impact on seo these days)
That also goes for the "url portion" of mods like the one linked...
The authors and sellers want to CLAIM that it makes a difference, but it does not.
What improves ranking in CONTENT -- and, on a forum, that is impossible to control.
Thanks for the insight sir, but can i still go ahead and buy the pro mod?

At least, it will give control for individual post meta and help for keyword targeting

Kindred

you can do anything you want... :D

personally, I feel it is a complete waste of money...  but it's your money and time - :P

BTW individual post meta and keywords are also basically useless. I remind you -- CONTENT IS KING.
Google pretty much only cares what is ON the page these days --- they don't care much about meta tags in generate and care not one bit about meta keywords --- and you have no control over what is on the page of a forum thread.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antes

I agree with Kindred. But its a good choice to buy that pack if you want those features, you can do pretty much same stuff with mods in our site but considering those mods' authors away now. You may not find updated version of those mods for next versions (even they may have conflict issues with php/mysql (mariadb)).

Advertisement: