Trouble With PHP/SMTP Emails Blocked

Started by idontevencare, July 21, 2015, 11:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idontevencare

Hi All,

I've tried using the PHP email feature in SMF. Seems like Hotmail, Gmail was able to receive this just fine. If I tried to send it to my email hosted from O365 it would never make it not even to Junk.

I figured I give SMTP a shot see if it worked better and less spammy. I setup SMTP setting, but I get this in the error logs:

Ran into problems sending Mail. Error: 550 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [50.62.177.99] blocked using Spamhaus; To request removal from this list see hxxp:spamhaus.org/lookup.lasso [nonactive]

That IP appears to be a GoDaddy server: hxxp:p3plcpnl0785.prod.phx3.secureserver.net [nonactive] and it's on a spam list: hxxp:spamhaus.org/query/ip/50.62.177.99?ip=50.62.177.99 [nonactive]

I contacted GoDaddy to try to get them to request this to be removed. Is this normal for SMTP to be blocked even if I have a external SMTP server in the setting if the server sending to that is on a spam list?

margarett

(not exactly sure if this is the correct board for this issue but anyway I moved it here)

The main difference (code-wise) between PHP mail and SMTP mail is this:
- using PHP mail, SMF "gives" the mail away to your server through the "mail()" function and doesn't "care" about it anymore (eg, the code continues its flow as soon as the mail() function is called. So if something is wrong with the email after that, it's up to your server to handle it. Usually your inbox (associated to your "webmaster's email address") gets crowded when this happens. But bottom line, SMF (like any other PHP script which uses the mail() function) "sees" nothing
- using SMTP, SMF implements in its code a full SMTP communication itself. Which means that SMF handles everything since the HELO up until closing the connection with the remote server. So if anything goes wrong during the process, SMF will "see" it and log it accordingly.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

青山 素子

Quote from: idontevencare on July 21, 2015, 11:26:59 PM
I contacted GoDaddy to try to get them to request this to be removed. Is this normal for SMTP to be blocked even if I have a external SMTP server in the setting if the server sending to that is on a spam list?

Well, it depends. For the most part, the recipient servers will only care about the server that is directly passing the mail to them. If the server that's sending the e-mail is on a blacklist, any recipient server that makes use of the list will often reject the e-mail message.

The exception is some places using Barracuda turn on a setting that examines every server line in the e-mail header. In my over decade of experience, I've only seen one small business that had that configuration. None of the big providers will do this.

The above is without exception for using the standard PHP or SMTP methods.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Advertisement: