Better flexibility with managing membergroups.

Started by Hotfuzz, July 24, 2015, 01:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hotfuzz

SMF 2.0.10 administrator here, first I would like to clarify that I have looked everywhere for a fix to my problem with no avail. I want to assign a few of my forum members a membergroup with it's own custom permission to have the ability to assign other users to other membergroups. Have I lost you? Let's me try to simplify it.

Me > Administrator.
My friend > Assigned membergroup "A".
Newly Registered Users > Not yet assigned. Need to have membergroup "B" assigned by personnel from membergroup "A"

With my current version of SMF, there is an option in the general permissions of the membergroup under:
QuoteCarry out administrative duties
to
QuoteManage and assign membergroups

By enabling this option to membergroup "A" for example, it creates a loophole where members of that membergroup can not only assign registered users to specific membergroups but also have the ability to create whole new membergroups with higher access.

It would be nice to have a separate permission which only lets a particular membergroup have the ability to JUST ASSIGN other membergroups and nothing more.

I have found this mod http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=269649.0 which from what I read does just that but I tried installing it on my 2.0.10 and got errors prior to the installation so I didn't.

Illori

if you assign the users in group A as group moderators of group B they can add or remove the users from the group from the moderation panel.

Steve

Quote from: Hotfuzz on July 24, 2015, 01:33:15 PMHave I lost you? Let's me try to simplify it.

Maybe it's just me but I found that to be awfully condescending ... hopefully you didn't mean it that way. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Hotfuzz

Quote from: Illori on July 24, 2015, 01:35:36 PM
if you assign the users in group A as group moderators of group B they can add or remove the users from the group from the moderation panel.

Thank you! It works as expected. The only drawback to this method is that I have to add each member of Membgergroup "A" as a group moderator to Membergroup "B" manually one by one. I was hoping to be able to assign the entire Membergroup "A" as a group moderator so I won't have to add each person individually. But oh well if the functionality is there just longer I don't mind. Thank you again Illori for the fast response!

Quote from: Steve on July 24, 2015, 07:16:27 PM
Quote from: Hotfuzz on July 24, 2015, 01:33:15 PMHave I lost you? Let's me try to simplify it.

Maybe it's just me but I found that to be awfully condescending ... hopefully you didn't mean it that way. :)

No not at all! As I was writing my request so to speak I realized it wasn't very clear so it wasn't written in a condescending way but rather meant to add a goofy flavor to it.

Steve

I hoped as much. Just wanted to mention it in case anyone else took it wrong. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

live627

QuoteI was hoping to be able to assign the entire Membergroup "A" as a group moderator so I won't have to add each person individually.
That feature is in the development branch.

Illori

Quote from: live627 on July 25, 2015, 09:05:26 PM
QuoteI was hoping to be able to assign the entire Membergroup "A" as a group moderator so I won't have to add each person individually.
That feature is in the development branch.

unless there is a PR on that, 2.1 has the ability to add groups to be moderators of boards but not moderators of groups.

Oldiesmann

Allowing entire groups to moderate specific other groups could get thoroughly confusing as well. Is there a particular reason you want to have so many people moderating a group?
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Hotfuzz

Quote from: Oldiesmann on August 04, 2015, 11:20:55 AM
Allowing entire groups to moderate specific other groups could get thoroughly confusing as well. Is there a particular reason you want to have so many people moderating a group?

As an administrator, I can be the one assigning newly registered users into the desired membergroup (B) or I could get one of the members from membergroup "A" to do just that for me when I'm not around. Reason behind this is to allow my guys (from membergroup "A") to perform this specific administrative task. Which in my situation is that of a recruiter. So If my recruiters change because some leave and new ones join, I'd like to simplify the process of allowing my recruiters to assign specific membergroups.

Like I stated in my original post, I can enable the
QuoteManage and assign membergroups
but that is going to allow the membergroup with this option to not only assign but also create a whole new membergroup with higher access I don't want them to have such as hidden boards on the forums (financial, administrative etc....).

On that note, I have done the trick Illori taught me by adding members individually of membergroup "A" as moderators of membergroup "B". The only drawback to this is now membergroup "A" cannot assign a primary membergorup through the User's account profile options. Which for aesthetic purposes doesn't show the name of membergroup "B" in the user's forum profile.

Sorry it took me 3 weeks to respond I forgot to turn on notifications for this topic.

Advertisement: