Any 2.1 themes that have a built in side portal?

Started by Biology Forums, August 20, 2015, 01:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biology Forums

I'm not looking for a built in portal but a column on the side that responsively goes to the bottom like xenoforo themes do in mobile screens.

Furthermore, once 2.1 becomes official, will the changes be so significant that we can't simply update the current 2.1 source and theme files manually? Or, they must all be replaced with the final version?

Kindred

While version is still BETA, there is a good chance that there may be major changes.

RC has less of a chance, but is still possible, depending on reported issues.

So -- in short, I recommend NOT trying to develop too much on the beta platform...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

JBlaze

Quote from: Shuban on August 20, 2015, 01:05:57 PM
Furthermore, once 2.1 becomes official, will the changes be so significant that we can't simply update the current 2.1 source and theme files manually? Or, they must all be replaced with the final version?
Updates between Beta/RC and Final versions will always be done via large upgrade packages. This means a complete file refresh. So while you can still create modifications for 2.1, just know that until it goes final, you will have to re-install mods every time.

HOWEVER, if you're not doing any file edits and strictly using the integration hooks, you shouldn't have any issues since integration hooks in use are stored in the database.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Illori

Quote from: zilladotexe on August 20, 2015, 02:14:57 PM
HOWEVER, if you're not doing any file edits and strictly using the integration hooks, you shouldn't have any issues since integration hooks in use are stored in the database.

actually in 2.1 and moving forward the hooks get removed from the database when upgrade.php is run just in case they may conflict with something.

JBlaze

Quote from: Illori on August 20, 2015, 02:21:56 PM
actually in 2.1 and moving forward the hooks get removed from the database when upgrade.php is run just in case they may conflict with something.

Damn... I have a lot of catching up to do
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Illori

Quote from: zilladotexe on August 20, 2015, 02:32:56 PM
Quote from: Illori on August 20, 2015, 02:21:56 PM

Damn... I have a lot of catching up to do

leaving hooks in place like 2.0 does has caused issues for people that need to use clean files yet dont remove the hooks, so we made a few options to remove the hooks including in 2.1 upgrade.php.

Biology Forums

Thanks. So essentially we should put our projects on hold until the final version otherwise all our hard work goes away :-/

Any word on the themes, my first question.

Deaks

Shuban, that has been answered believe it or not, no designer will make a proper theme for 2.1 until the structure and major changes are done, most you will get now are variants.  Granted alot of themes out for 2.0 are just variants.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Biology Forums

Unfortunately...

I can definitely do without a portal extension given my background in PHP. This is definitely a must, it's the only thing luring me to switch to Xenforo for one of my forums. They do it so elegantly, I'm jealous.

Deaks

the time it takes to make a theme and update it is no longer cost viable for most themers today, why you think less people are submitting free ones as they would rather make the almighty buck.  TBH from what I seen of the new XenForo it looks pretty good
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Biology Forums

True.

The cost of these new themes are relatively expensive, given that the copyright must remain and link back to the author. I have nothing against making money, but if I'm going to pay 85 dollars for a custom theme that does what I want, I'd rather pay the Xenforo forum software for a little more, and get one of their free themes that does exactly what I want.

Not sure I understood your last statement, but to clarify, are you showing distaste for the new Xenforo? If so, why?

Deaks

no I am saying the latest release is pretty good
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Bloc

Quote from: Poύνικ on August 20, 2015, 04:24:29 PM
Shuban, that has been answered believe it or not, no designer will make a proper theme for 2.1 until the structure and major changes are done, most you will get now are variants.  Granted alot of themes out for 2.0 are just variants.
I am not all that worried about possible changes in themes. :)

Most of them will probably be easy to follow if you have done some themework before. And since it does take quite some time between each beta and presumably any RC/final, you got lots of time to "keep up" too lol.

Quote from: Shuban on August 20, 2015, 01:05:57 PM
I'm not looking for a built in portal but a column on the side that responsively goes to the bottom like xenoforo themes do in mobile screens.

What would such a sidebar contain? custom code?

Xenforo seems to put forum items in there..but they make the mistake of keeping the sidebar width when putting on the bottom. Looks strange when its not fluid. (at least on their community site)

Deaks

~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Bloc

Quote from: Poύνικ on August 20, 2015, 06:41:27 PM
so Bloc where are your free 2.1 themes? :P

You might just as well ask "where are your 2.0 free themes"..lack of interest mostly. Thats not to say I haven't seen and tested the code.

But you know as well as I do, that the majority of designers will just make variants anyway. And theres not a lot of designers making themes for SMF currently.

Antes

Quote from: Poύνικ on August 20, 2015, 04:24:29 PM

ehm... https://github.com/Antes/Lunarfall (http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=530264.0)

I'm not making themes for SMF 2.0.x, just doing paid port works. But surely I'll do alot more themes for SMF 2.1 for free in near future. I'm just planing to finish Curve2 first.

Deaks

Quote from: Bloc on August 21, 2015, 01:22:45 AM

You might just as well ask "where are your 2.0 free themes"..lack of interest mostly. Thats not to say I haven't seen and tested the code.

It was a joke man, same reason why I not made any :)

But you know as well as I do, that the majority of designers will just make variants anyway. And theres not a lot of designers making themes for SMF currently.

Its been the case for years, even alot of paid ones now are mimics of previous one the author has made.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Bloc

Quote from: Poύνικ on August 21, 2015, 07:32:31 AM

It was a joke man, same reason why I not made any :)

Its been the case for years, even alot of paid ones now are mimics of previous one the author has made.

Sorry. :) touched a small nerve I guess.

Yes, its seemingly only paid stuff that counts now. But even if SMF isn't quite so much used anymore, its still the same software that I find exciting to code stuff for. I guess my "drive" is and have always been, simply to see where it takes me. Some may interpret that as I don't take critic(which I doesn't lol, not the ignorant type anyway)..but I don't really care as long as it give me something in return. (and that something isn't money)

But yes, even recent work is reminiscent of previous stuff. I see that I copy myself(and others) even still..but *good* forum design is tricky. Its a fine balance between keeping the traditionally look and doing something new.

Deaks

Bloc, you used to push the boat out in essence with designs that were unlike any others, darn what was the newspaper style one you had for 1.0 that pushed aesthetic boundaries as well as functionality, i look at the ones you make now and they look more like variants of others you made, I look at the ones being advertised for sale from other authors and the look identical to other they have made just new color scheme and a small code change.  For me its shame to see that aesthetically everything looks same as each other.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Bloc

True, I have been focused more on rewriting the stylesheet and going responsive, than actually being innovative in the design bit.

But is it any interest in being "different"? Seems like most just want something that looks like one of the major sites...lost count of Facebook and google-like themes that have come and gone lately. I know what I *want* to make of course :) but have doubts if its any desire for it.

Although it can be argued that being different, is what would make something stand out from the crowd.

PS. I cannot reply to your PM's..you need to unblock me. :D But to reply(which I prob did over here though) ..the theme you were thinking of was Simplicity perhaps?

Advertisement: