Migrate customized DB to 2.0.10 fresh install

Started by Aramil, September 10, 2015, 10:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aramil

Hello,

I'm having trouble to migrate the DB from an existing forum to a new install.

My client has a forum that has been customized a lot over the years (Not by me and without documentation), now he wants to make a fresh install, but when I import the DB into the new SMF v2.0.10 it stops working, white screen, no error logs.
I tried adding $db_show_debug = true; to Settings.php but nothing.

Is there a tool to export only valid data for a fresh install (No mods/themes data)?

Thanks!

Looking

What system / software is the current forum working on?

Aramil

Aramil

No way to upgrade, I followed the instructions and got 'Unknown errors', besides, I'd like to have a 'standard' db and software, so the fresh install would be better.

Illori

but a fresh install like you want would not have the members/topics/messages in it. do you really want to start over from the beginning?

Looking

Upgrading is like a fresh install because it essentially overwrites your existing files but keeps the posts and members.

Illori

Quote from: Looking on September 10, 2015, 10:55:31 AM
Upgrading is like a fresh install because it essentially overwrites your existing files but keeps the posts and members.

but an upgrade keeps your current members/topics/messages where a real clean install does not.

Looking

Yes, that's what I said? I'm trying to show the poster that it is not necessary to get rid of members / posts in order  to clean all files / mods otherwise they could just do a fresh install on a different DB / directory and delete the old one.

margarett

Quote from: Aramil on September 10, 2015, 10:46:56 AM
No way to upgrade, I followed the instructions and got 'Unknown errors'
Do you still have the 1.1.x files in place? Does the forum still work with that version?
You can't connect a 1.1.x database to 2.0.x files. The database schema isn't compatible so it needs to be upgraded...

You should really perform a full backup and run the upgrade. Remove every file/folder except "attachments", "avatars", "Smileys", "Settings.php" and "Settings_bak.php", load the large upgrade package and fire it! ;)

We've seen some strange issues with the upgrade tool for 2.0.x and they all relate to odd themes configurations in the 1.1.x version. Usually the default theme folder doesn't exist or the theme with ID = 1 is missing (which is something not supposed to happen...).
Check this post and let us know if it helps: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=538721.msg3828374#msg3828374
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Aramil

OK, I thought you could just migrate those tables, I see there are lots of differences between 2.x.x and 1.x.x DB's

I'll be trying this and come back with the news ASAP.

Thanks to everyone for your time and effort!

Aramil

The forum is working on v1.1.18 without problems, the issue is on my local development environment.

The folders structure has also been changed, there is no Sources folder, I think they moved it outside of the root of the forum for some reason and changed its name.
On the Settings.php file, the $sourcedir refers to a folder that doesn't exist ( 'path_to_root/includes' ), that folder exists on a lower level than the root of the forum. (The forum is working anyways)

Also, there is no 'Attachments' folder, on the production environment its a file with 0kb and no extension

Kindred

well, that will likely not work very well...   those folder MUST be present (and moving them for some supposed security reason is a complete waste of time -- either the syetem is secure or its not)

if the Settings.php is set the way you say, I don't see how 1.1.x can be working...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

I'm guessing that these are symlinks to other places on the server. It's a strange setup...

You can "reassemble" everything, eg in your development environment, with a copy of the files (and the database too) by putting the correct folders in place, assuming you can find them :P
So create an "attachments" folder and copy the attachments there, create a Sources file and put the files there. Then run repair_settings (from that duplicate folder) and point to your duplicate database first, save, then fix the paths to your duplicate folder too.
What is repair_settings.php?
Then you can upgrade this copy and not touch the original, running forum as I described. If everything goes smoothly, you can then move the files to the root of your forum, replacing the "old" files.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: