News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Change when posts are counted mod

Started by Jade Elizabeth, September 13, 2015, 01:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade Elizabeth

So on my forum I have a little bit of code in post.php to stop posters from a certain group from having their posts counted in certain boards. I'd like to make this into a mod. I want to have an interface with a list of boards you can check off and then I want to have a field for the membergroup id in question....and then I want to have it do what the code originally did. OR Perhaps just adding options to the board/membergroup interface, though the former would be much much easier and nicer for people who are just starting with this.

So I could store this stuff in the DB and have it load the variables as an array (I'd like to store it like this : "1,2,3,4,5") and use essentially this code but with variables so it's not hard coded...but I'm not sure if that is the best way to handle it. Can someone please help me out?

This is the code at the moment:
$posterOptions = array(
'id' => $user_info['id'],
'name' => $_POST['guestname'],
'email' => $_POST['email'],
'update_post_count' => (!$user_info['is_guest'] && !isset($_REQUEST['msg']) && $board_info['posts_count'] && (!in_array('41', $user_info['groups'])  || (in_array('41', $user_info['groups']) && in_array($board_info['id'], array(3, 83, 14, 73, 15, 74, 56, 28, 87, 84, 86, 79, 91))))),
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Jade Elizabeth

Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

bobodragomirqqq

I also had the same problem ... hope to find a solution soon
Looking forward from you

Suki

Do you want the whole interface code or do you just want some instructions and pointers to do it yourself?

Are you familiar with adding SMF $modSettings values and how $config_vars is used?
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Jade Elizabeth

Thanks Suki!

I would like to learn how to do it myself :D. I am not very familiar with #modSettings and have zero experience with $config_vars. I've used the context array but not 100% sure how I did it at the moment, it was a little while back.

Suki

The simplest and straight forward place to add a custom admin setting is the general settings page which already provides a generic config_vars var:

Sources/ManageSettings.php:

$config_vars = array(
// Mod authors, add any settings UNDER this line. Include a comma at the end of the line and don't remove this statement!!
);

Each "setting" gets defined by an array, SMF supports the most common form fields, text, textarea, select, multiple select, checkbox, etc.

To show a list of selectable groups, you need to first get them in a custom function, something like this:

function getGroups()
{
global $smcFunc;
$request = $smcFunc['db_query']('', '
SELECT id_group, group_name
FROM {db_prefix}membergroups
WHERE id_group > {int:admin}',
array(
'admin' => 1,
)
);
$return = array();
while ($row = $smcFunc['db_fetch_assoc']($request))
$return[$row['id_group']] = $row['group_name'];
$smcFunc['db_free_result']($request);
return $return;
}

That function will return an array of all groups minus the admin one (it doens't check for custom admin groups)

and to show them as a multi select field you will do something like this:

// Are there any selectable groups?
$groups = getGroups();
if (!empty($groups))
$config_vars[] = array('select', 'myMod_selectGroups',
$groups,
'subtext' => $txt['my admin subtext for this particular setting'],
'multiple' => true,
);

As you can see, the code checks if the function returned something and only add the setting if it did, the setting its a new entry in the $config_vars array, its easier to add it this way instead of messing directly with the array.

Heres a quick explanation:

'select'  <--- the field type, in this case we want a select field
'myMod_selectGroups',  <---- your $modSettings name, this has to be unique and has to represent what the actual var do, this is the name of the setting and its how you are going to call it, in the example my modsetting will be called $modSettings['myMod_selectGroups']
$groups,  <--- its the groups array, you just need to pass it directly, SMF handles it internally.
'subtext' <--- the tiny text that appears below an admin setting to help explain what the setting do, you can leave it empty but its encoruage to set a $txt for it to help whoever is going to use that setting to understand what it actually does.
'multiple'  <--- a special param that only "select" fields have, it tells SMF that this field will be a multiple choice one.

A list of boards will be pretty much the same, just create another function to get a list of boards and return it.

So, in the end your ManageSettings.php file shoulsd look like this:

$config_vars = array(
// Mod authors, add any settings UNDER this line. Include a comma at the end of the line and don't remove this statement!!
);

$groups = getGroups();
if (!empty($groups))
$groups,
'multiple' => true,
);

The getGroups() function can be placed at the end on the file before the ?> tag

Thats the first step to add your settings, onces you have that then we can start on how to apply your $modSettings vars.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Jade Elizabeth

Okay I have all of that. So the $config_vars comment meant after the ); and not before it? I would have put it after the comment so I'm glad you showed me how it should look! :D

Suki

Nope!, the config var comment means "below itself"  as in adding a new key => value inside that array:

$config_vars = array(
array('select', 'myMod_selectGroups',
$groups,
'multiple' => true,
),
);

Either way its just fine, you can add your key inside the array or add the same key via $config_vars[]

I used $config_vars[] because the code is doing a conditional, the "if (!empty($groups))" and while doable, its a mess to add that conditional inside an array.

So this:

$config_vars = array(
);

$groups = getGroups();
if (!empty($groups))
$groups,
'multiple' => true,
);

Its the same as this:

$config_vars = array(
!empty($groups) ? array('select', 'myMod_selectGroups',
$groups,
'multiple' => true,
) : array(),
);

But the first one is preferable as its cleaner and less obtrusive

Jade Elizabeth

Oh I see! I just facepalmed for missing that part. Thanks for explaining that bit! :D

Suki

The rest its pretty straight forward, your $modSetting['myMod_selectGroups'] is now an array of groups IDs, you just have to check the current user against that array:

if (!empty($modSetting['myMod_selectGroups']))
{
// your logic here
}

Advertisement: