Test System now getting Segmentation Faults

Started by aegersz, September 18, 2015, 02:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aegersz

hi, i have a dev. system and i notice that when i import the live database there, i see 100's of members reported as active (which is incorrect) and now i am getting quite a few [notice] child pid 30178 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

because i rysnc from the live system and use phpmyadmin for the database copies, why do you think i am getting segmentation errors suddenly ?

i seem to have enough free memory, btw ...

any thoughts ? i can only use my dev. SMF system in Firefox and it no longer works in Chrome - another weird oddity.

The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Shambles

Have a check here

.. specifically at the question "Have you tried to increase output_buffering in your php.ini?"

aegersz

yes, i did try that prior to posting this.

if i take a fresh version of SMF then it's ok but for some reason, my rsync'ed from live leads me to this error.

how do you guys handle your test systems ? do you use live data and also get the sort of problems i have ?
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Shambles

I use MySQLdumper to execute every 2 hours on my live host, sending the resulting DB copy to my test server.

On that test server, MySQLdumper uploads the data copy to my test DB.

aegersz

thanks, yeah, i take hourly MySQLdumper dumps also.

i will leave this open for a while so maybe someone else has any thoughts.

i don't know why i am stressing - it's only a dev system BUT i hate anomalies like this and want to know why this started to happen.

Shambles

You do know MySQLdumper can ftp its DB copy to your server...?

aegersz

no i didn't but i only rarely have my test system up so i'm coping with the manual route.

i reinstalled SMF 2.0.10 on my test system and that solved the problem.

i'd still like to know why it happens ? i think there is a dodgy mod'ed Source file (I now have 56 mods so i guess it's likely ...

am i right to assume so ?

LATER ON ... Yes, I have isolated the problem to SMF Source, but how can i find out which program is the culprit and is it really a problem ? My live system is working fine ...

margarett

Did you ran repair_settings after importing the DB?
It's very odd that you get a segfault, really... Wrong settings wouldn't cause that but it's worth to try...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

aegersz

i didn't but could it be hardware related ? my dev machine is a really old laptop

aegersz

gdb apache2 -core /tmp/apache2-gdb-dump/core.6281
GNU gdb (GDB) Red Hat Enterprise Linux (7.2-83.el6)
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-redhat-linux-gnu".
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>...
apache2: No such file or directory.
Missing separate debuginfo for the main executable file
Try: yum --enablerepo='*-debug*' install /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/1a/fc88da2283c6a5812c2fa4539cdee2b0aed105
[New Thread 6281]
Core was generated by `/usr/sbin/httpd'.
Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
#0  0xb765a179 in ?? ()
(gdb)

... i tried the yum --enablerepo etc. but it failed.

any more thoughts ?

Illori

if you really want to know why,

QuoteMissing separate debuginfo for the main executable file
Try: yum --enablerepo='*-debug*' install /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/1a/fc88da2283c6a5812c2fa4539cdee2b0aed105

then wait for the next core dump

margarett

I can't think of a way for SMF to crash Apache...

Do you use Pretty URLs? Maybe incorrect settings could cause a redirect loop? Dunno, just guessing... :(

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

aegersz

there is a loop there somewhere because the noise i get when i get a message from SA Chat (mod) keeps looping.

i just can't get any meaningful debug data.

i wish i could find out WHAT php file is causing this - i'm struggling a bit despite reviewing many core dumps but from IBM OS'es.

Illori

your issue is the software you are using is not build with debug symbols so you will get nothing useful out of them unless you rebuild with debug enabled.

aegersz

yes, i understand that but can't figure out how to do so.

it's probably easier if i DO NOT rsync Source libs from Prod to Dev. and just apply the mods as needed.

is that how you do it ? is the Source meant to be copied from one system to another or do you advise Mods to do this ?

Illori

i mean that your apache etc has to be built with debug in it, this is an software level build. if you need help doing that you should find a forum for your version of your OS and post their for help.

this has NOTHING to do with how you sync your SMF installs between the 2 machines.

aegersz

Quote from: Illori on September 18, 2015, 09:05:15 AM

this has NOTHING to do with how you sync your SMF installs between the 2 machines.

i understand but some code that runs in Production doesn't in Test.

I have one last question for now ... do i have to enable debug in PHP or APACHE ?

Illori

the segfault seems to be in apache, so i would start there.

aegersz

i think i worked it out:

i was  also getting this:
PHP Fatal error:  Class 'Facebook' not found in /var/www/html/Sources/Facebook/FacebookHooks.php on line 419

PHP Warning:  include(): Failed opening '/var/www/html/facebookauth/facebook.php' ...

somehow, i managed to lose the facebookauth directory and once i copied it, it seems ok now ...

sorry for causing all this grief ! i'm not sure why the rsync didn't pick it up but i did remove the mod and reinstall it at some point.

i think i have been wasting your time.

margarett

No worries ;) But again, a PHP fatal error should not crash Apache...

aegersz

Quote from: margarett on September 18, 2015, 09:38:21 AM
No worries ;) But again, a PHP fatal error should not crash Apache...

well, it crashed Chrome but Firefox managed to limp along ... sort of.

it's my fault for incomplete rsyncing - a genuine mistake because i forgot maybe ?

but at least i learned something !

LiroyvH

I'd still keep looking for segfaults. Those aren't supposed to occur indeed and yes: it may point to a hardware issue or config problems.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

aegersz

they came back as soon as i imported a fresh database.

maybe it's too big ? the number on line users is wrong and says 200+ ... another mystery.

青山 素子

As I've said on similar topics before, segmentation faults point to bugs in the server software or possibly the hardware. Nothing run at the high level in PHP or on MySQL should cause a segfault in normal usage. If it does, it's a problem with PHP/MySQL or similar.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

aegersz

i think it's because i am moving the large database to a small laptop.

ok, thanks, i may well have to just live with it.

青山 素子

Quote from: aegersz on September 23, 2015, 08:11:19 PM
i think it's because i am moving the large database to a small laptop.

No, it isn't. That should never cause a segfault. There are a few things that can cause such an error including buffer or stack overflows, dereferencing null pointers, or accessing non-existent memory. These types of errors happen within the compiled program. They won't (normally) be caused by PHP code or SQL files.

For most large and popular programs, a segfault should be exceedingly rare. The typical causes in those cases stem from hardware issues or broken applications.

Simply importing a large database should never cause this type of issue. At most, it would just be very slow. I speak from experience, having migrated multi-gigabyte databases with several-million-row tables.

Quote from: aegersz on September 23, 2015, 08:11:19 PM
ok, thanks, i may well have to just live with it.

Please don't. Having that happen points to a larger issue and you don't want weird failures later on. You likely either have a bad build of MariaDB/MySQL you're using or some kind of hardware problem.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

aegersz

yeah, it must be due to my cavalier relationship with my mirror/laptop - it's really old too, with not much memory.

i had been trying to install a new version of php and failed ... it might be related.

just as long as my live system is fine, i'm ok with that.

i may get segmentation faults that kills Chrome but Firefox sort of handles it better.

thank you for your help ... i may go down the laptop memory path next time ... it was working well too until the database grew - i know that you say it's not connected but whenever i restore the database on the laptop, the active user count keep accumulating into the 100's ! i can't figure out why and still think that it's the root of all my problems, somehow.

aegersz

Kindred explained this - it's in the LAST 15 minutes ... i see now.

thank you so much.

aegersz

I can avoid the problem by not mirroring the Sources directory and provided I manage the test system, post complete rebuild, all by itself, it's ok.

I just feel that there is a mod that's giving me this grief but it's only a guess.

by not being able to sync the Sources, my test system looks very basic but at least I can import databases.

something is lurking there that causes this yet my live system is going well.

aegersz

i rebuilt my mirror intranet system on a more modern laptop that uses SSD ... and rsync'ed all live files and the db.

it all now works like a dream.

i put it down to old hardware - this is now resolved.

Advertisement: