News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

masking domain

Started by 2handband, October 14, 2015, 10:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2handband

I'm on inmotion hosting, and I have a domain on another hosting provider pointing to a subdomain that contains my forum. Problem: The URL displays the domain it's pointing to, which has nothing to do with the topic of the board. I would like the URL bar to display the name of the domain people are actually going to be typing in. Is there a way to do this?

LiroyvH

Did you add that as an Addon Domain? Or did you make the domain redirect to the subdomain?
If it's the latter, then you can't. You'll have to create an addon domain, and attach it to the subdomain. (This can be done in cPanel; either with addon domain functions and perhaps with park domain features (not 100% sure on that last one, honestly admitting I can't remember for sure... Which is fun as I deal with extraordinary complex cPanel situations on a daily basis; but a simple user feature... Woah. :P Anyway; usually users simply use the addon domain features to begin with if they want to have a domain linked to a subdomain/subfolder))

If it already is an addon domain or you parked the domain on top of the subdomain, then the quickest route to ensure it's all properly done is simply to use repair_settings.php which can be obtained from Downloads -> Tools, on this site.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

6TiME6

I'm not entirely sure I understand your question correctly, but to me it sounds like you need to set a CNAME record, like:

domain.com IN CNAME hxxp:forum.otherdomain.com [nonactive]

This would displays the content of hxxp:forum.otherdomain.com [nonactive] under hxxp:domain.com [nonactive].

Advertisement: