News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Double Column boards and removing child headers on front page.

Started by Zennia, November 08, 2015, 02:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zennia

Current SMF version: SMF 2.0.11
Theme: Default Curve
Crittercosmos.com

So I am an admin on said site above I'm familiar with CSS and HTML but not Php and this is my first time working with an smf form as far as coding. I'm working on making a new skin for the site, but ran into a bit of trouble.

I've been looking for a way to make the front page a double column, hide the child boards and hide the post/replies area of the table. I only want it to effect the front page. I was hoping I'd be able to do it with CSS since I do not know Php.

I found a thread explaining that I could use this:
#boardindex_table tbody.content tr
{
display: none;
}

#boardindex_table tbody.content tr.windowbg2
{
width: 49.5%;
float: left;
margin-right: 0.5%;
margin-bottom: 0.5%;
display: block;
}

It sort of works and I added a max-height trying to fix the alignment, which just made the text run off the board and get smooshed together until I increased the size more.

This is what I have now. I'd do a live preview but there are over 300 members over there and I don't want to have this live where they have to see it until it is fixed.

The board alignments are all weird because the text in some makes them bigger than the other boxes. If I shrink the max size down it works but then it's a mass of text running off the board space. Some of the boards are all different sizes. it's a mess. the picture pretty much should explain what I mean.

So how can I make this double column, hide child boards, hide posts/replies and make it so the boards are all the same size without going all messy. I'd like it if the text gets too big it just cuts it off and doesn't show it after like say 3 lines of text or so.

I'm starting to think that this might be out of my league and require some php work. Is there a way I could do this with CSS or would it be best to do it with php? If so where can I find someone who could help do it with php? Also if it is on the php would it effect all the skins or just one, I'd prefer it to be skin specific.

Sorry for all the questions here, I hope it makes sense.

margarett

Hi and welcome to sm.org ;)

As much as I suck in theming :P I think you need PHP for that. You'll probably need to tweak the template code in order to properly make it like you want ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Zennia

Thanks.

and that's what I was wondering that's good to know. Where can I find someone who can help me with that?

margarett

If you want someone to help you with that, you should wait for further replies here.
If you want someone who do it for you, then --> http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=50.0
(check the board stickies first ;) )
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Zennia

Ah alright thank you very much. I'll wait for more replies.

And I need to speak with the other admins of the site before hiring anyone to do it, but that would be nice. I might head over there later.

Advertisement: