News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

1.1 upgrade - "old or outdated files"

Started by wideye, October 24, 2005, 01:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wideye

I keep getting the "The upgrader found some old or outdated files. Please make certain you uploaded the new versions of all the files included in the package." warning after uploading the upgrade files for 1.1

Trouble is, I tried to upload 3 times, the last time I just completely deleted the files on the server and uploaded the new ones (except for attachments, which I'd like to retain). I attempted to CHMOD every single file to 777 by my last attempt. I still get the same message at the upgrade utility. Does anybody have an idea as to what specific file it's reacting to?

wideye

I just tried the upgrade utility on my local machine (same version of SMF) and it worked perfectly. Interesting.

My server environment has safe mode turned on and I am overriding it with an .htaccess file to run PHP as a CGI (I have no control over the PHP glabals). Does this have anything to do with it? I tried to clean install 1.1 as another experiment and it worked fine...

Elmacik

you also have to upload the new language files :)
this exactly is your problem.

1- upload everything that are included in the UPGRADE package into your server.
2- download a new language pack that fits the new version that you will upgrade to.
3- upload everything that are included in the LANGUAGE package into your server.
4- do the ugrade :)

hope it helps
Home of Elmacik

wideye

I thought the English template files were included in the upgrade package. I'll try that, but they seem to be there already ...

wideye

Turns out that it was because of this:

The server is in safe mode, and I created an .htaccess file to override it and placed it in the site root directory. I needed to do this because of certain features in Joomla, which I'm using for the new version of the site. The .htaccess had this in it:

Action php-script /interpreters/php-script
AddHandler php-script .php
AddHandler php-script .php3

So, if you have this server configuration with Joomla and SMF ... gooooood luck. I'll try to find the directories in which the .htaccess file actually needs to be placed in order to operate SMF and Joomla simultaneously - should only need it where Joomla uploads junk.

I could talk trash about this widely used and ultra-hip hosting provider, but I'm classier than that ;-)

Thanks again for the supprt, SMF peeps.

Oldiesmann

How exactly does that override safe mode? The two "AddHandler" things just tell Apache that it should interpret .php and .php3 files as a PHP script.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

wideye

Well, it's not really overriding it - from what I understand from the host documentation this should just force PHP to run as CGI. Problem is, it doesn't work at all anymore (keep getting 500 errors) and I can't figure out why. So, I think I'm screwed because my knowledge of PHP isn't that extensive. I got SMF to update, however, so on to the Joomla boards. Sigh.

Thanks

Oldiesmann

I don't recommend forcing PHP to run as CGI as that decreases performance. If you have to though, chmod all your files to 755 and try again. That will fix the issue with the internal server error messages.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: