Send Topic Spam

Started by Solace, April 14, 2016, 06:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solace

Quote from: kat on January 29, 2010, 12:43:09 PM
Read/write-protect SendTopic.php in the "Sources" directory.

Crude, but efficient. ;)

Is this the only solution at the moment to "send topic to friends" comments being used as a spam server?

Irisado

Topic split.  Please avoid raising a six year old topic from the dead, especially when it is marked as solved, in the future.

Which version of SMF are you using?
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Solace

Quote from: Irisado on April 15, 2016, 05:15:31 AM
Which version of SMF are you using?

Hi, thanks for replying. My forum currently runs 1.1.21. I'm not keen on upgrading to 2.x, because I'd have to re-write a custom extension module.

Quote from: Irisado on April 15, 2016, 05:15:31 AM
Topic split.  Please avoid raising a six year old topic from the dead, especially when it is marked as solved, in the future.

I've never understood why it's not nicer to search for and post on an existing topic to keep the conversation consolidated. Was the original topic marked as solved? As far as I can see there was no resolution besides the sledgehammer I was querying.

Irisado

The green tick shows that it was marked as solved, yes.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Solace

Quote from: Irisado on April 15, 2016, 05:32:53 PM
The green tick shows that it was marked as solved, yes.

I can't see a solution besides changing the source file permissions. Like the person in the thread, turning off the "Send topics to friends" permission for all user types in the admin panel (guest was already the default everything off), didn't have any effect.

Illori

changing permission on that file will effect other functions on the forum if it is not readable by the server.

if you want a quick and dirty fix to disable that feature. in your main index.php file find

'sendtopic' => array('SendTopic.php', 'SendTopic'), and comment it out like this

//'sendtopic' => array('SendTopic.php', 'SendTopic'),

this way the sendtopic function will no longer exist and if users try to use that function they will get sent back to the main page of the forum.

Solace

Quote from: Illori on April 16, 2016, 06:22:59 AM
//'sendtopic' => array('SendTopic.php', 'SendTopic'),

Thanks Illori, that worked.

I also commented line

'send' => array('test' => 'can_send_topic', 'text' => 707, 'image' => 'sendtopic.gif', 'lang' => true, 'url' => $scripturl . '?action=sendtopic;topic=' . $context['current_topic'] . '.0'),

in Themes/default/Display.template.php to make the "Send this topic" button vanish. This wouldn't have been enough to stop spammers from going direct to sendTopic URLs, so your fix was what I needed.

Advertisement: